I am thinking about starting ice fishing and need a few pointers on how to get started so if anybody could help out I'd appreciate the advice.[/u]

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:11 pm

if you have never gone before,my advice is to go with someone and borrow some gear.some dont like it,after they have gone.it better than spending money to find out you dont like it

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:40 pm

bigoutdoors

if you have never gone before,my advice is to go with someone and borrow some gear.some dont like it,after they have gone.it better than spending money to find out you dont like it

That's the best beginner ice fishing advice I've ever seen. Wink

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:09 pm

bigoutdoors

Yup I agree with you there and thanks.

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:50 pm

If you want to learn and have a lot of action go to somewhere with pickerell, it will just get you used to setting the hook and setting your tip up. A lot of reps in one day will get you good quick.

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Hey, timmeh,

If you live near Simsbury and would like to try ice fishing, I'll be out on Lake Basile with at least one fishing buddy after 8:00 am, tomorrow, Saturday, 01/25. The parking area is at the end of Lordship Road. You'd be welcome to try out the gear that we'll have with us (e.g., tip-ups, augers, jigging rods, etc.). Just dress warmly and stop by.

Phil

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:20 pm

There ended up being four of us on Lake Basile. We were on the ice from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm. We set seven tip-ups with small shiners near the bottom. We iced only two sunnies and one largemouth bass while jigging. We iced three largemouth bass with the tip-ups. We got two of them on four flags. We iced another that wrapped the line around the tip-up, which kept the flag from flying. We had one shiner stolen without a flag. The biggest of our largemouth bass was only 12 to 13 inches long.

I got skunked while jigging at Lake Basile. I didn't get even a nibble. I couldn't handle that, so I stopped by the upper pond at Nod Brook WMA after lunch to find and jig an old open hole. One of the three groups I saw was leaving as I walked out onto the ice. They said they had caught only a few black crappie. As I passed another group, a flag flew and they iced what looked like a nice 2-1/2 to three pound largemouth bass. But they reported a slow day, too, with only a couple of largemouth bass. I found an open hole in 15 feet of water. I had a good hit on my first drop to the bottom with a waxie tipped Hali jig. I had a dozen waxies stolen off of the jig before I finally set the hook on the sunny that I had been feeding for 30 minutes. Phew! Cool

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks for the report peco, havent seen you around here i a while glad to have ya back!!!

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:27 pm

Sounds like good advice.

Posted Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:51 am

My advice would be to start off jigging. It keeps you busy and it beats sitting there waiting for a flag to pop up also nothing like getting a hit on a jigging rod and hooking into something nice!! Its a fight like none other. Goodluck

Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:06 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links