Add to Favorites

CT Fish Finder Forum Index
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 

Tips On Ice Fishing Anybody?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timmeh
Panfish Rank

Total Points: 211

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Tips On Ice Fishing Anybody? Reply with quote

I am thinking about starting ice fishing and need a few pointers on how to get started so if anybody could help out I'd appreciate the advice.[/u]
bigoutdoors
Striped Bass Rank

Total Points: 1301

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have never gone before,my advice is to go with someone and borrow some gear.some dont like it,after they have gone.it better than spending money to find out you dont like it
peco
Baitfish Rank

Total Points: 17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigoutdoors wrote:
if you have never gone before,my advice is to go with someone and borrow some gear.some dont like it,after they have gone.it better than spending money to find out you dont like it

That's the best beginner ice fishing advice I've ever seen. Wink
timmeh
Panfish Rank

Total Points: 211

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigoutdoors wrote:

Yup I agree with you there and thanks.
msm07
Brook Trout Rank

Total Points: 27

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to learn and have a lot of action go to somewhere with pickerell, it will just get you used to setting the hook and setting your tip up. A lot of reps in one day will get you good quick.
peco
Baitfish Rank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, timmeh,

If you live near Simsbury and would like to try ice fishing, I'll be out on Lake Basile with at least one fishing buddy after 8:00 am, tomorrow, Saturday, 01/25. The parking area is at the end of Lordship Road. You'd be welcome to try out the gear that we'll have with us (e.g., tip-ups, augers, jigging rods, etc.). Just dress warmly and stop by.

Phil
peco
Baitfish Rank

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There ended up being four of us on Lake Basile. We were on the ice from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm. We set seven tip-ups with small shiners near the bottom. We iced only two sunnies and one largemouth bass while jigging. We iced three largemouth bass with the tip-ups. We got two of them on four flags. We iced another that wrapped the line around the tip-up, which kept the flag from flying. We had one shiner stolen without a flag. The biggest of our largemouth bass was only 12 to 13 inches long.

I got skunked while jigging at Lake Basile. I didn't get even a nibble. I couldn't handle that, so I stopped by the upper pond at Nod Brook WMA after lunch to find and jig an old open hole. One of the three groups I saw was leaving as I walked out onto the ice. They said they had caught only a few black crappie. As I passed another group, a flag flew and they iced what looked like a nice 2-1/2 to three pound largemouth bass. But they reported a slow day, too, with only a couple of largemouth bass. I found an open hole in 15 feet of water. I had a good hit on my first drop to the bottom with a waxie tipped Hali jig. I had a dozen waxies stolen off of the jig before I finally set the hook on the sunny that I had been feeding for 30 minutes. Phew! Cool
angryjohn
Striped Bass Rank

Total Points: 1210

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report peco, havent seen you around here i a while glad to have ya back!!!
quassy
Panfish Rank

Total Points: 157

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like good advice.
pjcifaldi
Rainbow Trout Rank

Total Points: 61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Ice Fishing Reply with quote

My advice would be to start off jigging. It keeps you busy and it beats sitting there waiting for a flag to pop up also nothing like getting a hit on a jigging rod and hooking into something nice!! Its a fight like none other. Goodluck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CT Fish Finder Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: