After a 2.5 week haitus, I was able to get out Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
On Saturday, I was greeted with gusty winds and 3 foot seas which kept me from running east. Stayed close to Niatic and foutunate to find Albies. Landed 2 and lost several more. Fished a full sinking line - Flourcarbon 12# tippet. The fly was a wooly bugger style rootbeer color estaz with a short white marabou tail. also oicked up a couple of bluefish.
Sunday, I left the dock before dawn with a light breeze and 1 foot seas. Headed east to to some spots on the southside of Fishers Island. Pods of Albies blew up in several places and the fishing was excellent until the armada of yahoos showed. Picked up 6 Albies all in the 10 pound range with one specimen going closer to 14 pounds. The rootbeer estaz and a Pugalisi style tan over white bay anchovie patternns were the flies of choice. Alos picked a couple of bruiser blues in the 12 pound range. Came a as tiper short tof a slam.
Monday not as good as Sunday. There were still alot of boats due to the Columbus holiday, but the albies were also on holiday. Only landed one fish and dropped one. Still fun and great to be back on the water.

Posted Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:58 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links