I think that bait casting reels are better bu t are they?

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:12 pm

i am going to have to disagree. There is a purpose for each type but when throwing very small baits for trout a bait caster sucks. for bass in the brush or tuna there is no substitite.

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:29 pm

Don't really care for trout fishing in CT. Majority are stocked fish and aren't worth catching anyway.
If you are fishing for trout, fly fishing is the only true skill to go with to make it worth your while.
Bait casters are the best for bass. If it is windy, switch to spinning to reduce the hassle. I still prefer bait casters when ever possible.

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:41 am

Don't really care for trout fishing in CT. Majority are stocked fish and aren't worth catching anyway.
If you are fishing for trout, fly fishing is the only true skill to go with to make it worth your while.

Ouch, Mac. That stung Laughing

I never got into baitcasters. I came close once, actually had a good time with them. My father and I rented a cabin on a river in Maine. Good fishing for Largemouth. Price included a bass boat and tons of gear the owner said. Every single reel, however, was a baitcaster! Like Angry John mentioned, each reel has its place; I don't think one is better than the other.

I do own one such reel, but I just put it on a heavy ice jigging rod. It has a nice feel and I can operate it with one hand and hold the liquid long-johns in the other.

Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:08 am

Liquid long johns eh? Never heard that one before, classic. I've said on here before that I'm strictly baitcasting. But, there are certain areas they just aren't as useable. Drop shotting on lite line is a problem unless you get a Crappie rig, which is made for lighter lines and lures. So I'm now going to have the wife teach how to use a spinning set up. But that's next season. I agree that they both have their place on the water for sure. Happy turkey day to all

Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:27 pm

so when a spining reel starts to run down on line, it starts to seriously effect the length of a cast, are baitcaster effected the same whay, or do they work just great to the last foot. Working on a setup for pike and stripers, and don't know if i need to spend the big bucks on 300 yds of braid or if 150 will get the job done...

Posted Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:14 pm

I just got an Abu Garcia SilverMax2 I had a BlackMax the first one but I really only used it for heavy spinner baits and other heavier lures. My first time using the silver I got a fish first cast. That wasn't the best part about it by the end of the first day using the reel I was casting shallow crank baits and other lures just as good as I would on a spinning reel. The silvermax2 is at a great price and I am pretty happy with it so far. I know some people will reply with the brand they think is better and the model that probably cost twice as much but I'm happy with the results.

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:48 pm

after getting a pile of bait cast reels the answer to my own question is yes. The alphas and sol are very cranky about having a full spool, and the settings for cast control work better on all my reels when full.

The abu reels are nice, the guy across the street just got into a baitcaster and he got the black max. There a lot nicer once you take the bearing shields off the spool and drop in some boca oil. takes less than 10 min but worth the effort.

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:47 pm

PENN spin all I use

Posted Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:14 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links