Was reading some of the fishing reports couple days ago...some said flukin was picking up and one report suggested Niantic bay. Checked wind, tides, and packed up all my stuff yesterday..got in the water with about five hours before high tide....It was low tide and caught the first creature of the year...I saw color and was hoping for that doormat fluke....But it was not fighting...It was one of the largest and most ugly skate critters I've seen.....lots of nibbling on squid strips...and a lotta robin fish which look to be feeding off of tiny tiny shrimp in the sand.....Not sure if the are sand lice...I read fresh strips of robin fish make good fluke bait...switched up and did another drift using that...the crabs loved it, that's for sure..had to jig a lot to keep them off.....on another pole I had a double rig with some mackerel strips and a head....I figured, what the heck, maybe I'd get lucky and a striper might be hanging around, attracted by my stinky clam chum.....looks like the crabs got away with that....headed over into shallow area out of the bay closer to the boat launch....I was able to walk around and the water had to be in the 80s and crystal clear....I would have jumped in for a dip if it was only fresh water...I looked around in the flats to see if I could find any fish moving in the sand..but didn't see any...Called a local fish market from the water and packed up my sheet and bought some swordfish on the way home...Lotta people at the outflow and looked like the blues are in..saw some guy catch one and chuck it in his pale like he was paranoid someone was going to come and steal it from him...Nice day...but it does not look like the fluke are in this area yet. Also tried berkley gulp shrimp on a reflective ball teaser....nopers.

Posted Fri May 31, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks for the report bro. Hoping to get out tomorrow or early Sunday.

Posted Fri May 31, 2013 7:42 pm

Good luck man. Hopefully this heat will fire things up! I thought of you when I saw the guys at the outflow, deadly dick'n. Even on a Thursday those pricks were anchored in ! I wasn't going to even try to get in there...gotta say its nice during later summer when you can't grab fluke and you nab some nice porgy to keep the rhythm going. Please let me know how things go for you and as always please be safe!

Posted Fri May 31, 2013 8:22 pm

Fished out of Stonington today, got the skunk big time. Draggers must be in full effect, water was scummier than I've ever seen. Tried to fish Watch Hill. I've come to the conclusion that it is just about un-fishable from a kayak, waves too big out there. For the second time I ran with my tail between my legs. MOTHER ------!!!!!

Posted Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:44 pm

That sucks. WUnderground showed the wind was under 13 MPH. Were you getting gusts? Did you launch out of Stonington and paddle/motor all the way to Watch Hill..That's a hell of a lot of area to cover and the sun was really intense. I found the one time I fished near the sandbar in Stonington, there was a LOT of seaweed/debris made it difficult to fish...maybe thunderstorms played a part in the clarity of the water too...was hoping to see a nice pic of your catch...By next week you'll be ready to go again and land some.

Posted Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:49 pm

We have had luck on the backside of Napa tree point for Stripers water is a little bit calmer for a yak

Posted Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:50 am

Last Wednesday I went to the race caught 15 blues lots of fun. Had a buddy yesterday nail some striper there. They were 35 and 27 inches. Hoping tonite we will hammer em. Ill post tomorrow hopefully with some pics. As always be safe and keep them lines tight!!! Ps. Isabellas beach is crawling with flukes there in li Like 50 to 80 ft!!!

Posted Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:55 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links