I have been using these warbaits jigs with the trailiing willowleaf blade to very good effect this spring, but there very expensive, and i would like to try and make some. The main advantage is I can control the size and weight. The 1/2oz version with the #4 willow has been a big fish lure with the smallest being 2lb 14oz. My issue is that the weight of 1/2 oz is a little heavy and goes deeper than most of the shallow ponds here. I am thinking a 3/8ths version with the same #4 blade would be just right. The cost from the store when i picked them in in San Diego last week was 8 dollars each. I think i can do much better, but i will have some experimenting pains. I plan to order some of these heads
http://lurepartsonline.com/Shop-By-Category/Stamina-Weedless-Jigs/Mad-Shad-Jigs.html

and go from there. The watermelon looks like a great head to build a lot of the bait fish patterns from. My only concern is if the weight on the head is low enough to stabilize a #4 blade. I plan to order some #3 as well or maybe 3.5. Once i get it figured out, then its easy. I also am liking the idea of using the fluted willow. Other blade shapes might be good to, and i will investigate and indiana or wide willow once i get the initial design ironed out.
[/img]

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 12:09 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links