Finally I was able to do some fishing. I have been shackled taking care of puppies and other not so fun family duties that needed tending to.
The stars and the moon aligned and Mark 'The shark" and I met up at Barn island at 5:45 to partake in our second annual July Fluke slaying trip.
Timing was a little rough we had a slack tide in just over an hour, only the well seasoned angler pays attention to the tide anyway, so we had nothing to worry about.
The days weather started out to be beautiful, and managed to stay that way the entire day.
I would have liked a steady breeze to keep the drifts productive, it was pretty still out there. Had to rely primarily on the current for the lure action during the drifts for the most part, except for my jig.

After securing the blindfold on Mark, off we went to my top secret spot!!!
Tide was winding down, and we were catching as many skates if not more than Fluke.
The fluke we were catching at this point were nice fish for the most part 17 1/2 -19" I was using a green and white spro jig 1 oz I think, The shark has his special custom made Mari Dee's rigs. which we both tipped with squid strips which by the way was my very own caught squid along with spearring(sp) that Mark brought along, the ol "Ham & Eggs" as it's been called.

At one point after the tide made it's change, I hook what I am sure is the MONSTER fluke of the day, the fish is putting up a great fight, peeling drag several times on my tightly adjusted drag, after quite the fight it finally appears, a nice size Bluefish....DAMN!!!!! I was so hoping for that huge fluke. The Blue hit that Spro jig I was using.
The Shark was real busy sifting through skates, sea robins, short fluke and keeper fluke.
We had our legal limit in the live well early afternoon.
I considered the day fairly slow in general, but looking back at it was pretty steady, Mark definitely caught more fish than I, but the quality fish I will take most of the credit for.
We had 2 there at 22"

Some photos of the day

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:06 pm

Wow nice bunch of fish guys and great details,thanks.

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:29 pm

Nice job Lung. Amazeing what one day can make. Maybe I should use fluke rigs to get a blue.

Posted Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:53 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links