Should it be illegal to use corn as bait or chum when fishing for Carp in any state?
Yes
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
No
64%
 64%  [ 9 ]
Not sure
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Doesn't matter.... Carp are an invasive/nuisance species
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

Someone I know got stopped by a Game Warden in New England recently because they were using corn as Carp bait. The Warden didn't penalize them with anything, he just simply told them to pack up their stuff and leave and asked them if they knew that it's illegal to use corn to fish for Carp. I've done a lot of research over the past few years about the affects corn has on Carp and have seen plenty of evidence that it doesn't hurt the species, while I've also seen little evidence that it does hurt the species. For these reasons I have posted this poll to get the publics opinion on the question. Please only answer the poll if you have done a good amount of research on the affects of the matter!

Thanx,

Carpmaster

Posted Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:03 pm

well, carp are a cool fish and corn is a great bait for them. Just to be on the safe side, I wouldn't use corn, but I don't think it should be illegal. After that it comes down to the responsibility of the angler.

Posted Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:08 pm

It should not be legal everywhere. Corn is fine for carp since they have molars with which to chew it up.

The problem is that most fish won't bother the corn, Trout however love it and cannot digest it properly. This creates issues when people chum large areas of corn and Trout gorge themselves, and often times die because of it.

Thusly it is only illegal in designated trout waters, or waterways with special circumstances. This I think is fine as there are plenty of baits and methods to catch carp.

Will I use corn where I am allowed? You bet I will, it remains one of the carps favorite foods and an excellent chum to pull them in with. I prefer feed corn/maize as it is tougher and larger so the only fish that really bother it are carp..

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:07 am

Reasurse has fond that corn doesn't hurt the fish not even trout. In Rhode Island it is illegal to use corn. So I know people who use chick peas instead and it work just fine.

Charlie

Posted Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:42 am

In RI it is only illegal in designated trout waters, not everywhere. I have talked to and confirmed this via the EP's there since we had events along the canal in Lincoln. It was legal to chum and use corn in the Blackstone canal but not the river, since the river was trout water in Lincoln and Cumberland...outside of those two places you can use corn in the Blackstone. The same goes for the rest of the state, trout waters = no chum/corn..not trout waters = you can.

Massachusetts has no rules on corn/chum except in very specific places like a few of the main reservoirs and that is not about the fish that is about water quality. Outside of those places it is legal everywhere.

Dunno CT's rules since I do not have a license for there.

People have been lightly reading the rules and posting in various places that it is illegal everywhere and that is simply not the case. Some areas yes, it is illegal so always check your rules or call the Environmental Police and get a clarification of the rule-set for a specific area.

Posted Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:09 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links