All due respect gramps, but I hope you don't feel that any engine driven boat has the right-of-way over a paddled 'yak!! The issue usually comes out of the yaker being "swamped" by a passing power boater that has no respect for the paddler.

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:57 pm

grampa1114

Then use a little common sense etiquette and go around, please.

Why would you say this.

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Just for the sake of argument and so everyone is clear. Let's say I'm drifting a shoreline casting at the bank moving in one direction. There is another boat doing the same thing coming from the other direction, a bass boat, the operator is in the bow on the trolling motor, FISHING using the same method. This is NOT AN ISSUE OF RIGHT OF WAY as neither vessel is technically UNDERWAY. I go by the "common sense" rule of who was there first. I have no problem reeling in my line and going around the other and ten times out of ten that is what I'll do unless I was there first and I get the impression that someone thinks they are entitled to a non-existent right of way just because they are in a boat and I'm in a kayak. Then I believe I am well with in my rights to become just as big of an a$$hole as anyone and if the situation were to escalate to one party waiting for the other at the ramp then so be it. One qualifier I will add is if I am aware of a fishing tournament going on that day I will always stay out of their way because if I was fishing for money I would appreciate the same courtesy. But unfortunately some people also take that as a license to push other people off of their spots and screw with others' fishing not in the tournament. That's not happening either. Now even though the poster is wrong in his belief of who would have the right of way in this situation he is polite as he did say "please" so I doubt anyone would be waiting for the other at the end of the day. I think more people should say please and thank you! One of the many problems with society today. Thank you.Very Happy

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:24 am

You're right Carp, but I wasn't refering to any legal rules of the road, just common courtesy. And that works both ways, just like you suggest. I'm afraid that is how gramps feels though. Gramps, please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong!
pramsey

All due respect gramps, but I hope you don't feel that any engine driven boat has the right-of-way over a paddled 'yak!!

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:05 am

i consider someone on a trawling motor under power. That still gives the yaker the right of way. I almost never get into any water confrontation. One guy on rogers got a 3/4 jig thrown his way and me cursing every word i knew as his ski boat flew by at max power!!!!

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:15 pm

pramsey

You're right Carp, but I wasn't refering to any legal rules of the road, just common courtesy. And that works both ways, just like you suggest. I'm afraid that is how gramps feels though. Gramps, please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong!

pramsey

All due respect gramps, but I hope you don't feel that any engine driven boat has the right-of-way over a paddled 'yak!!

Sorry Pramsey for the delay, I was in Groton yesterday getting my boating certificate with Capt. Dave. You are correct and there are many occasions when that door swings both ways. All I...or for that matter anyone...asks for is common sense and reasonable courtesy...in both directions.

As a side note...I already had a Vermont boating certificate but couldn't operate in Conn.

Last edited by grampa1114 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:10 am

snapper

grampa1114

Why would you say this.

Snapper I say this because I've had discourteous people run over my line while I was 20 ft.from shore.....

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:17 am

grampa1114

snapper

grampa1114

Why would you say this.

Snapper I say this because I've had discourteous people run over my line while I was 20 ft.from shore.....

Well that's just ignorant. I would venture to guess that the kayak involved did not have fishing tackle with them. That would never be me, no harm no foul.

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:55 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links