Got out of work early yeaterday and decided to see if any Carp werwe around in the Mattabasset Riveer in Cromwell. Walked in alongside Walmarts off RT 72. Water was roiled due to the rain, but found a few fish working in the shallows. Fish were not willing to hit the Wooly Buggers presented so I kwept walking downsteam blind casting around structure and in holes. Picked up two fish about 10 pounds and dropped 3 as I worked my way back upsteam.
Rather slow but still fun on a 7wt. Fish hit black BH wooly bugger.

Posted Thu May 07, 2009 10:15 am

I caught a 16lb Carp on the Ct river the other day check him out

Posted Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:05 pm

Cool Guys, but what is a Wooly Bugger and what other baits work? What about stink baits? CT river temp is now 69 degrees and warmer in the back waters and coves. I'm seeing alot of carp in the 2.5 to 3 foot range! I want to catch one or 2!

Posted Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:55 pm

Wolly Bugger is a fly pattern ( fly fishing) classified as a streamer. The WB can be tied in a variety of colors ansd can be effective for many types of fish. In addition to carp, I have caught trout, steelhead, salmon, pike, smallmout, largemouth bass. The fly is also good for many speceis of saltwater fish from stripers, false albacore and bonito to bonefish, snook, jacks and small tarpon.

Posted Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:08 am

Jeff you can check the Mafishfinder forums under carp as I posted a few good recipes and such over there, plus some other ideas for bait.

I mainly fish the Blackstone up in Uxbridge, ma but the bait will work most places. And yeah the CT river holds some monsters, our state record comes out of there at a huge 44 pounds- 2 ounces.

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:02 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links