Found this recipe since dogfish urinate through the skin. I guess removing the skin and bleeding it out asap is a must.

Maybe this tough skin is not so easy to pull off quickly and the reason no one wants it. Oh and the fact they are so ugly.

Article-

"I have always fished for shark. Of course, in the deep southern atlantic states, the fish are a little bigger than the dogfish here. But, that's ok.

When I catch a dogfish, I am happier than a pig in slop.

What I do is slit the throat as soon as I pull the hook out. Then, I peel it like a catfish: cut just deep enough to break the skin in around the base of the tail and fins then, using pliers, grab the skin and pull the skin off the body and over the head.. After that, open in the belly cavity and yank the gunk out. Throw the gunk and skin in a ziplock bag.

At home, cut the fish from end to end along the spine, then spice with some good, not cheap, cajun spices that have been cooked with some butter and lemon juice. Place on a sheet of foil, wrap all the way around and broil for 20 minutes.

Super good !!!

People around here that have have tried dogfish before and refused to eat it again and eaten mine always want more.

So, if anyone around Nanaimo catches them and don't want them, please let me know, I'll take them with a big smile and thank you !!!"

wow-

http://www.break.com/index/dogfish-refuse-to-be-cooked-and-eaten.html

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:49 pm

You check it out and let me know snap...apparently over in UK I think it is, they use dog fish for fish & chips

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:19 pm

aqualung

You check it out and let me know snap...apparently over in UK I think it is, they use dog fish for fish & chips

Exactly what I read about the U.K...and they are marketed in the US under "Cape shark."

It sounds like timing is of the essence to make sure the uric acid doesn't spoil the fish. That would be a hell of a feat to bleed them out and skin them while they are flopping around with sharp ass fins...Especially in an inflatable Smile

From what I remember last year, they were very strong with a very long tale end..they like to smack me hard in the face and anywhere else they can get me.

I might try it through. I've ran into many schools at sunrise in Niantic bay...after that during the daytime, never seem em again.

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:30 pm

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:43 pm

i have tried it,after seeing a recipie in the on the water mag,its great,another good one that you dont hear about is sea robin

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:47 pm

might as well throw in skate while we are eating garbage fish Very Happy

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:51 pm

I still think placing electric meat grinders hanging off the rail is the best idea for doggies. Just throw them in, sensor starts the motor, and you have insta chum. Smile

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:36 pm

bigoutdoors

i have tried it,after seeing a recipie in the on the water mag,its great,another good one that you dont hear about is sea robin

Wow, I never imagined eating a sea robin....at least with a dogfish, most of the ones I've caught are 4 footers, so if you butterfly it, that's a big ass piece of fish...I'm going to continue however, to leave the sea robins dangling from my hook and shoeing them away. Smile

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:07 pm

aqualung

might as well throw in skate while we are eating garbage fish Very Happy

lol. People claim if the dogfish is bled properly it's very much like Pollock. Laughing

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:10 pm

lol. People claim if the dogfish is bled properly it's very much like Pollock.

I would have figured it taste like chicken.

I have my doubts regarding the dogfish, on some of the cod & pollock trips we go on sometimes they can be caught by the hundreds and even the Asians don't keep them, so that has to tell you something.

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:10 am

aqualung

lol. People claim if the dogfish is bled properly it's very much like Pollock.

I would have figured it taste like chicken.

I have my doubts regarding the dogfish, on some of the cod & pollock trips we go on sometimes they can be caught by the hundreds and even the Asians don't keep them, so that has to tell you something.

I was expecting to read the "chicken" comment but the Asian one had me in stitches.

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:44 pm

might as well throw in skate while we are eating garbage fish

I tried skate last year. tasted fine, but I think it needed a little longer over the heat. found myself chewing through cartilage that was supposed to just "slide off."

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:51 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links