I took Amanda Turkey hunting this morning. We saw 4 toms in a field next to the property we hunt. We circled 1/2 mile around them and set up 200yds from where we saw them. At first they did not respond to my calls. Then finally we got them to gobble. We worked these birds for almost an hour. Before they finally started in our direction. They came in and styed just out of gun range. The toms walked completely around us staying out of range. Then they headed away.
We moved about 100yds and started to set up again. I was trimming a shooting lane when I saw the toms heading again to us. I was able to belly crawl into cover. Amanda was sitting with her gun at ready. She made a perfect head shot at 20yrds. I am very proud of my little girl.

Posted Sat May 02, 2009 12:22 pm

Nice! Lucky youngins get to hunt before us. This will be my first turkey season but im not sure how it'll turn out, Im opting for private land but i dont know if ill be able to get permission for the two spots id like to hunt with shotgun, I have one spot thats promising with bow, however, i dont think im a good enough shot yet with a bow to nab a turkey... i guess we'll see!

Posted Sat May 02, 2009 10:15 pm

skipper Thanks,
It's tough to take a turkey with the bow. The kill zone is only about the size of your fist, and turkeys never stand still for very long.

Good luck this season. I hope you get a few turkeys.

Posted Mon May 04, 2009 6:02 am

Yea thanks for that! I was practicing today, I need to get my peep sight moved down, my sights dropped all the way but I'm still shooting low. Any other things I may be over looking? I'm shooting nice tight groups at 30 yards though, I don't think I'd take a shot at a turkey unless it was 10-15 yards. Since I have permission on private property that's only 3 acres but has a high traffic of turkeys I gotta give it a shot. If you've ever done turkey with a bow any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Posted Mon May 04, 2009 9:55 pm

Have you paper tuned your bow with broadheads. This is very important for accurate arrow flight.

Also when adjusting a peep sight. Draw your bow(in safe direction) Then close your eyes and relax. When you open them up everthing should be lined up perfectly. If not, adjusts it so it dose. Have someone mark your bow string (while at full draw) to where it should be located. Also glue and tie peep in so it will not move on you.

Get a blind if you are going to hunt with a bow. It takes alot of movement to pull up and draw. You can buy one of those fancy pop up blinds for around $100 or just buy the camo blind material and use sticks or branchess to hold it up. I take 3-4 kids turkey hunting every year. I have to use a blind for the younger kids.
It's hard for a 6yrs old to sit still for long.

I hope this helps.
Good Luck

Posted Wed May 06, 2009 11:27 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links