Had some time today and I've been meaning to go see Pattaconk from the water. I'm usually up there fishing non-swimmers out of the water with my ambulance. It's a car top only, mixed use lake that doesnt see much fishing pressure, located in the state forrest. Gate house was locked up at 2pm, so it seems they are only charging on the weekends. It's a really nice place to swim, cook out and do some fishing. You can easily find yourself away from the crowd in a few paddles. this is where the party usually is raging on. It was packed by the time I got in.

It's about a 50 yard drag to the water with your gear. Lots of beach to launch off of....if you can get the fat ladies to skooch over for a minute while you go by. Had no prob today. Launch and beach is on the dam end of the lake. No point hanging out here. They'll just end up cannon balling into your yak.

Opens up to a fine lake with two ways to go to the pads at the end. Water temp was 83-85* depending on where I was. West side had the afternoon shade, and was much more productive. Total fish count was around 20+. Lots of dinks in the pads with texas worms, and flukes with weighted 4/0's.

Lake was about 15 feet and flat in the middle, without much structure or weeds. Didn't mark any fish in the center flats. This is not an overgrown body of water. Nice weeds leading into slopes on the edges. Popped a bunch down at the NW lily area. This is heading into it.

Hard to get tired of 1-2 pounders being aggressive, and smashing your rig in the pads.

Found a lily island just sitting there way away from shore. Looked perfect and I threw the works at it....nothing. Casted a frog over it and creeped it back through, in a last ditch effort to convince myself it should have fish. BOOM!! Right in the middle. 17" 3.7lb really angry fish. I wasnt on my braid rod so it was a battle, with drag running. It went away from the pads and deep. Solid 5 minutes to boat it. Hellava good time!!

Fished till about 8 and felt a pizza calling me back to shore. Nice spot to spend the afternoon. It's also a channel cat lake. I think I'll address that next time out there.

Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Very nice day out there, looks like you've found another good spot.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:47 pm

Nice looking lake, Dave. I love places like that.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:16 pm

I felt like an egg in a 14' frying pan out there. The fact that I caught a bunch of fish had me shaking my head. They dont seem to listen to weather reports.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:09 pm

Nice day. I was only familiar with the Pattaconk bar from post fishing stops on my way home. Nice place to get a burger and beer!

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:49 am

I use to fish there when I lived in CHester about 20 years ago. They almost drained that lake if it was not for my wife and I. It is a great place to fish.

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:27 pm

I use to fish there when I lived in CHester about 20 years ago. They almost drained that lake if it was not for my wife and I. It is a great place to fish.

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:27 pm

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:29 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links