This was a private message, but I'll make it public..some of you might enjoy.

I just got back from Garner Lake. Today I went alone....no one is there since its Monday...no pressure launching.....after all the running back and fourth to the car with the batteries and equipment, first thing I did was head to a shallow spot an anchor..and hop over the side...very refreshing, OK...now to find some fish. I had three packs of new Berkley Gulp, minnows, yellow/green works, and black worms with speckles....nodda! nuthen goin awn...but while Im swimming, looked like the pole with a live crawler on it was movin...and it was a cute little punkin seed, bout the size of my hand...on to other areas..today using a fish finder..and according to this portable one there were plenty of fish at lots of depths...its said a lot were up high in the water which didn't make sense..in places it was 20 feet...I expected the trout and bass to go lower....and maybe they were...but I didn't get anything...had a bite on the Berkley minnow once and lost it....or maybe it was some fresh water growth.......headed off to another area to the west....A storm had already gone around me...I was lucky..there was lightening to be heard for most of the day and at least one portion of the sky looked pissed off! While in the other direction the clouds were absolutely stunning, white and puffy/beautiful shapes like I've never seen.....so I head West and of course we know bad weather comes from the West but I'm watchin....and the clouds seem to be moving around me..past me......and then a breeze starts for 4 seconds and it accelerates to probably 40 miles per hour and I look and in front of me I cant see the lake, about 2 thousand feet of perfectly clear and past that it looked like someone was splattering white paint from the sky...so my brain is registering the wind and now visually seeing what is coming in about 20 seconds...and I'm reeling my s*** in and one of the poles is hung up on the bottom....and I'm just hoping the line will break but the drag is set..and I still have to pull anchor...I break the line and pull the anchor and just as I grip the trolling motor handle, I'm molested with a cold down pour of the heaviest rain I've been exposed to in a T shirt in my entire life, including Military...so now, I've got the troller pushing full throttle (lol) 3mph and the lake turns into a fucking raging sea! All the water is breaking and I'm bobbing like a cork...and that trolling motor kinda loses its momentum when that happens....I figured it would only last for 3 or 4 minutes with that kind of down pour but it lasted about 9 or 10...Dagg! Now I knew this s*** would pass eventually and I'm now frozen and soaked to the bone....and finally it does...takes an hour for the lake to calm down...ermergency rescue inflatable is buzzing by checking things out ...(didn't ask me anything.) Finally the son came out...I tried to dry out and warm up...tried a couple more spots and said Im going home and I'm going to pack this boat up and make it to the package store for wine damn it before they close. (Time crunch.)
So I arrive at the launch cautiously because there is some older dude with his dog running loose going nutz...and I don't want the dog jumping on my stuff....and I'm concentrating to make sure I'm coming in with the right amount of speed and trim the motor up as I sail in. without bottoming out ....and then I hear.... "Ya catch anything?!!!" I'm like oh s***....I'm like "No, it wasn't very good." Now I go get my car and back it into the launch and the same dude is like, "What are ya fishing for?" Now I'm beat..and I don't want to be rude, but I want my s*** out of there asap and there is another boat coming in and his dog is all over near my boat...I said "all kinds of fish." But today I caught a great storm." And the dummy looked completely lost. I didn't catch anything dude!..that's what I wanted to say, I got fucking hammered!...
I wonder if I am the only dick who does not stand around the boat launch talking to clueless people happily after a day like today.

Anything, I feel better now...I still would have went...I think....some of it was fun...always learning.

Anyway, I thought you might enjoy the story...and its funny now that it is all over....I'll bet people were taking pics of me from their mansions and posting it on Face Book, "Look at this idiot."

Now I just copied all that text in case I lose it when I send this to you... ha:)

My reels are really nice, ball bearings and brand new...Im going to bring one of them back and exchange I think due to salt water damage....

As the summer moves on, I know that fresh water lakes and ponds will get nasty....So I've got to find some good spots on the CT river..I think that is my only hope for catching some good fish with the equipment I currently have.

In mid to late August, I'll take the kids on the Mi Joy or another charter in the race.....I want to see them catch a striper..they would beam..they get excited just catching a perch..

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:59 pm

wrong order

Last edited by snapper on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:18 pm

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:22 pm

I didn't have time to catch to violent stuff...at this point I was in "out of here" mode.

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:26 pm

"White Squall "

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:29 pm

snapper

Never mind the storm, what's that white thing jumpin' out of the water right in front of you!

Posted Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:16 am

My ex wife bought me sandles to cover my ugly feet. Now I'm free. So everyone else must suffer.

Posted Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:46 pm

Getting caught in a nasty storm in a small boat has a pretty high pucker factor! We were caught once last season where the rod tips started humming. Not good.

Posted Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:43 pm

11 foot inflatable with electric 40lb thrust motor. Smile I've had a couple "concerning ones" this year for sure.

Posted Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Glad you posted that snap. Good tale. After 15 years in the biz doing fiberglass/gelcoat work, and deliveries I've seen some snot on the water. Pucker factor is spot on!! Always a laugh afterwards, but ma nature has ya by the short hairs when you're most vulnerable. I'm much better suited now that I've transitioned to working in the ER. The calamities are not mine! BT-dubs...let that five toe flag fly free, frito nails and all. Just say no to sandals. Fish on.

Posted Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:08 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links