10 days from now the winter flounder season starts. Anyone have any plans to get right out there after them?? The past several years have been dismal, but I heard plenty of guys limiting out too.
Spearing them may be something I would like to give a try this year.

Posted Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:08 pm

aqualung

Spearing them may be something I would like to give a try this year.

better do it this year,it may be the last time you get for a couple years

Posted Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:09 pm

Hell Yea getting the boat ready this weekend... Hopefully she runs

Posted Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:00 pm

Hopefully she does run for you bharrell.
Where abouts you fish for them??
Not looking for specifics.

Posted Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:12 pm

I did really well last year and hope this year is just as good.With 35 years of practice with flounder I have found some techniques that work all the time.My small boat has been ready since feb.Ready for some tasty fillets. I fish the lower ct river and stonington.

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:02 pm

Hiya CaptainCrusty and welcome. Great looking "small boat" you have there.
My even smaller boat gets no rest over the winter.

I too have a few years experience with the flounder but that was 20-25 years ago. I may have tried twice in the past year or two with no success. Maybe this will be my year.

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:09 pm

My small boat is a 14 ft. alum. that has been in family since my father bought it for striper fishing in 1957.
I caught these on 4-25-08.We could have a private talk on the best way to catch these.I have seen you on the water.I spent 5 yrs on a shark and tuna charterboat as 1st mate,put my hrs in and now have 100 ton masters.

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Ahhh now the small boat comment makes sense.

I appreciate you willing to share some tricks, when I know I will be able to get out, I will give you a shout.

Back when I could bail those flatties, I did real well outside bluff point.
Seems like if you want to catch them now you have to be more inside.

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:40 pm

Hope that gave you some insight on what to do.I will be taking my 85 yr. old father out next week for some action.You have to hit the tide right because it is all about the tide when it comes to saltwater fishing.Good Luck Capt. Crusty

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:05 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links