Wow! What an incredible day…

My river fishing lately has been a struggle to say the least. We’ve fished from Hartford to Old Saybrook with very little to show for our efforts. There are quite a few bass along with plenty of bait in the river but they have been very hard to hook with big lures. I informed a couple of clients I had booked for this week of the recent lack of action and we decided to reschedule for the salt water once things picked up there. So, today was to be a day for scouting my favorite haunts in hopes of finding enough bait and quality bass to make the switch back to Niantic. There have been lots of great reports from the eastern end of Long Island Sound of mid to upper 30″ fish but I was anxious to see if the bigger fish I target were here yet. Porgy season is now open, the question was would I be able to scrape enough together for bait yet???

The last few years, I’ve always brought my good luck charm Stroby with me on the forray in the salt. Why mess with what has worked so well in the past?? Stroby met me at the house at 3:45am and we shoved off for Niantic. I told Bob before we even got in the truck that I had a great feeling about today… It was pretty foggy on the way down so we took our time and were in the water by 5 headed out under the bridges. Not really sure where to start looking for porgy, we started near my favorite drift in 15 feet of water. The plan was to move progressively deeper till we found them. As it turns out, we didn’t have to go too far. It wasn’t fast action, but we put 6 baits between 11 and 13 inches in the livewell in about 45 minutes. We decided to hit the closest rock pile while we still had some tide left and then return for more bait during the slack.

We were drifting at about .5MPH

http://fishingct.com/blog

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 5:39 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links