Magor bummer looks like the Evil fishing god found me again.....

Went outside to cut the lawn and noticed a puddle of gear oil under my outboard thought it was a leaky seal but after a closer look I found out that.....
Earlyer this seasion I managed to split the lower end of my outboard its a 1982 Mercury 25 hp by the model number on it . I used it last time out with no problems so the damage isnt internal but with the oil leaking out its only a mater of time before the lower end cooks itself . I will try to drain and seal the crack this week but I would be better off if I can locate a replacement for the lower end so there no chance of oil leaking into fishing holes . Anyone got any mates with a trashed motor with a decent low end wants to work a affordable deal or knows of a motor shop with reasonable prices let me know.

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:30 pm

That sucks, changing out the lower unit should be no big deal.
Sounds like you had a bad seal and water in the lower case gear lube and it froze up over the winter.
Post up on craig's list the boat section, "Wanted" lower unit Blah Blah.
Or check out this site.
http://boat.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/boat.cgi?cat=boa&fil=mercury&itm=&state=XNE&ps=&pe=&ys=&ye=&so=d&submit=+GO+

Change up the search info as needed

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:56 pm

thanks for link ya I was going to do the graigs list thing later tonight ...pretty sure I know when I cracked the houseing happen few weeks ago bumped a rock before that it was cool no biggie to swap out just need to locate 1 is all

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:49 pm

Man you would think theses things where made of gold for the prices ive seen 600$ for a parts motor thats not even complete ppl are just nuts.... Im thinking there watching to much auction hunters every pile of rust is worth 1k....well the search continues

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:08 am

I've been looking for a carb for an '85?? 15hp Merc. Can't find one anywhere. Been to the used outboard place in Niantic and dozens of sites. If I find one I'll fix it or just sell for parts without.

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:24 am

RNA have you checked www.iboats.com

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Yes, but it's been a while. I just have to keep checking back on websites and a few places that specialize in parts for older engines. Other than the cracked carb bowl, the thing ran pretty well.

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:25 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links