After meeting a some people around the state Ive notice im not the only fisherman out there with a big love of fishing and when it comes to boating ive got rich mans dreams with poor mans pockets as a consequence of this we buy inexpensive boats and customize them to suit our needs not allways liveing up to what we had intended. Sometimes this is because we over reach our ability more often than not its the choices in material or design problems we never saw comeing . When this happens we end up with a job that needs to be redone down the road costing us more money. So before you add a casting deck or add floor lights or even gut that old boat out to do a total custom design ask questions .

I dont mean to say ive got all the answers but I do have some experience in working on my own boat and could help you find hardware ...Material types...coatings for wood ... that may help you finish that project cheaper than you think with less grief.

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:05 pm

Know anything about insta-trim boat levelers that adjust your tabs automatically?

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:09 pm

there mostly for the larger boats than mine ..come in both electric and hydrolic powered pistons tend to be pretty pricey if I remember full kit was running about 1k-1500 depending on the size and style you should be able to ajust your trim with motor controls I would think

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:39 pm

know anything about adding a jet ski motor to a jon boat. I have been watching video's on utube, and this looks like the best shallow water opertaion going. I dont like the ones that are built around the original ski, but the motor and jet adapted to the jon hull?????

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Have tabs already but was thinking about auto leveler. Think I'll save money and get a winless save lots of agravation while anchoring. lol.

Angry John now that sounds like a fun project!

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:22 pm

never did 1 of those john but im game for it....get the jet ski and we'll get started

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:27 pm

know anything about adding a jet ski motor to a jon boat.

Seems kinda cool if you have a jet ski engine. They make a composite bottom that a lot of drift boat guides put on their hulls to protect from rocks. With a jet motor and a bottom protector, you could run it on skinny water, up rivers, etc. [/quote]

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:57 pm

definately with the right hull this thing would fly like a raped ape . incorperate a skid plate in the bow area and it would be shallow water monster. only problem i can for see is cloged intake issue with the jet but keep it out of the mud and weeds your in

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:06 pm

oh i see what you where asking about reef the after market control for the trim tabs that sets your trim automatically not the complete kit that comes with them .... ya some times manual controls work better im not a big fan of auto controls on anything 1 more high priced item turning on an off all the time when you dont real need it to (unless you need that level of fine tuneing) keep it simple ...but thats a personal preference

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:37 am

Kind of what I was thinking. Boat is new to me. Little smaller than last boat need to get use to everything.

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:01 am

SMALL??? if that a small boat (the 1 in your icon) then im floating around in a thimble... thats what 18 fter

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:59 am

It's a Grady White 24' offshore. It's nice has small cabin w/ a head and walk around. Had a 28' wellcraft coastal, but big oak tree fell on that in October storm. I use to keep boat in Mystic River closer to my fishing grounds. So I am new to fishing on the river. That's why I've been talking to people here to try to get a feel for where what & when.

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:24 am

24 fter dang bud ever need a life boat I guess i can strap my little 15ft to yours might even fit in the glove box lol

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:26 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links