Thinking of building a small bait tank. I got a plastic water tank out of an old pop up camper, and a submersible pump from a garden fountain. I know how I want to make it, but am wondering what others use to clean and feed the little guys. This is going to be used primarily for left over bait, between fishing trips.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Elon

Posted Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:17 am

just don't know what to say............................

Posted Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 pm

Hertzy, I have an aquarium set up in my garage and have had bait for almost 2 months. A plastic tank works fine.
The tank can get to be a bit smelly so I don't advise it in the house.

Here is a short list of things that work for me.

Keep cold, even light ice is ok on occasion.

If you use city water let it sit for a couple days before putting in the bait. (less chlorine)

Water changes are needed to keep water somewhat clean, only do about a third at a time.

Do not shock the bait with temperature change when putting bait in or out.

Feeding is really not needed, tend to dirty the tank more.

Aeration of some sort

Posted Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Thanks Bob. I'm thinking of putting it in my Bulkhead. I just need to clean it out. It's been sitting out side for 4 to 5 years. It's a bit green at the bottom. Shocked Very Happy

Posted Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:03 pm

Green may not be sooo bad, if you use any type of cleaner, that can be a problem unless you are sure to get it all completely out and rinse very well.
Don't let it freeze up.

I have been lucky so far this season I have not had to buy bait yet, but I am starting to thin them out pretty good.

Posted Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:14 pm

MONGREL BAITS FOR SALE! haha

Just to add, a few of the things I want to put some more importance on, again, the temperature difference is big, dont let the bucket ice up more than a quarter of an inch on the bait, i think it gets a little too cold. Aeration is very important as well. One thing I find that works very very well is a cheap fishtank filter for a smaller tank. Its the one where you put the air tube at the bottom and the bubbles go up a tube and create a suction pulling water through a sponge filter. If you dont know what it is i can put a picture up. This helps keep the water not only aerated but cleaner than just keeping them in a bucket with an air stone.

No but really Mongrel baits, 3.99 a dozen, you pick up

Posted Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:21 pm

I made mine like a boat live well. I took some air line, blocked off the end, drilled several hole in it, and stuck it on the pump. I may make another line with fewer holes in it. No filter,, didn't think about that. I guess I have to think of adding one. I'm thinking with the water moving as quickly as it is, it shouldn't freeze up. I'll move it into the bulkhead tomarow, and see what it does over night.

Posted Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:28 am

Looking good Hertzy, that's a perfect tank. You're quite the McGuiver so it appears Laughing

You will be surprised about freezing even if you think the water is moving fast enough. Depending how cold it gets, if it gets down near 0 you will need a heater of some sort.

Oh and one more thing...NO naming the fish!!! Razz

Posted Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:19 am

NO naming the fish!!!

I already did!

Bait!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

Posted Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:51 am

Nice job Hertzy!I hope you are not using MONGRELS like jabronie Lung does cause if you do you aint gonna catch any dang fish withem!....if anybody does buy a dozen from him dont let him charge you anymore than 1.99 a dozen!!!

Posted Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:09 pm

Do you guys leave your pumps on all the time, or do you have it on a timer?

Ok what is a MONGREL Bait? I assume there just larger shiners, but with you guys, ya never know! Very Happy

Posted Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:52 am

MONGREL baits are the baits that me and aqualung use. They are coined mongrel baits by tbob because he finds them not fit to catch fish seeing as we catch them ourselves. You see, tbob thinks that these baits do not work well because they were free, he thinks you have to spend 4.99 a dozen for the bait to work. The sad part is he is continually out-fished with said MONGREL bait.

On a serious note, the natural caught bait is the best way to go, it is natural forage and a fish is more apt to eat it than a store bought shiner. The store bought shiners are actually called Arkansas shiners and they are grown in big fish ponds or tanks if you will. They are then shipped up here from whichever bait dealer to our local tackle shops. Do they work? You betcha. I have seen a better catch rate with the "MONGRELS" though.

What did I say before? Mongrel baits: 3.99 a dozen! HA!

Posted Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:37 pm

Nicely done skip!Just gotta love the back and forth banter.Helps make my day go by.Thanks!

Hertzy, any bait that swims while on a hook works!!!

Posted Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:53 pm

Unless you buy it, then it doesnt work too well!

Posted Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:26 pm

One more thing Hertzy...Listen up...THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT
If you use a battery operated aerator, please, PLEASE! put the batteries in correctly Razz

Posted Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:30 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links