After Carp had left me hang....ahhhh nevermind (Carp is in denial on this one) on what was supposed to be an afternoon/evening trip out of Groton on Monday, I knew I had to get out Tuesday besides one of my dogs going to have pups any day now and hurricane Irene barreling down on us I figured this is my last chance to get out for at least a week or so.

My game plan was pretty simple, head to the race, get my 10 blues and head back in to try for some black fish and/or scup, if the conditions were right throw some plugs at the rocks around Pine island at dark.

I launched at 12:30pm to a stiff N breeze blowing, I took my time getting out to the race, started at race rock but not enough bird activity for my liking so I headed west, about the same amount of activity at Valiant rock so I kept going west to wards little gull, about half way there I found what I was looking for fish crashing the surface with lots of birds around. I toss a top water plug I'm on instantly, great fun on lighter spinning gear. After another fish on top that died off so I went to the 8 oz diamond jig with just a single hook an was on again. I wanted to see how quick I could get my 10 blues and head back in, the first 6 were a piece of cake, then I hit the bump in the road, number 7 fish took off with my jig, knot came undone....Grrrrrrrr, the fish are on the surface again, so I throw a plug...fish on again, get the fish to the boat and gone....took the treble with him...second time out I had a fish take a hook off one of my plugs, but this was an older beat up plug, so not sure what happened, long story short it was one thing after another, I lost at least 4-5 fish before I finally boated number 7, the next 3 I found down by Valiant, they were crashing the surface again so I did the surface thing and had my 10 by 3 PM I thought I was going to be lucky enough to get them in an hour but it didn't happen that way, so I headed in to try for some blackfish.

I anchored up at Black ledge and dropped down some old frozen green crabs I had, could seem to find any black fish here, I only fish for blacks in the winter so maybe they are out in deeper water?? I dunno??

Tide was dead at this point so I decided to fillet up the bluefish which I did. I then decided to try for some scup, I tipped a small diamond jig I have with squid and eventually the bite picked up with the tide, ended up with 3 keeper scup a dink sea bass and a 18" fluke. The sun was setting and the wind was still crankin but I headed over to pine island to try and throw a plug anyways, that didn't last long the sun went down and I called it a day.

A couple pictures of the day, the date is wrong on the camera, I picked up this little kick around camera for $5 at a tag sale the other day, I don't have to worry about it on the water.

Heading out with the breeze blowin

My limit of blues

Little rough on the water

Sunset

Wind blowing when I returned

Last edited by aqualung on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:59 am

Good report Lung,glad you were able to make it out. I snoozed on the hurricane thing,didn't even take it serious until yesterday,ain't gonna be no fishin this weekend................on the other thing,all bullchit aside,I've never been out to the race,from what I understand it can be a dicey proposition during the day in the best of conditions. Now for someone to go at night,in a 19' boat and in potentially high winds you either gotta really know what you're doing or be a complete idiot. I know you ain't no idiot. And I don't doubt your captain/piloting skills for a second. The fact of the matter is after working all night and most of the day,with the wind blowing the way it was I just wasn't up for it anymore. I was doubting my sea legs and the more I thought about getting beat up all night the more it sounded like a good idea to stay home. Now how about the next time I see you I show up with a cold twelve pack of Bud-Heavies and you put me back in your good graces?

Posted Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:21 pm

It's all good no worries no 12 pack required, I always give a guy a second chance, there are no three strikes in my game, it's 2 and out Wink

Posted Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Good report. Not much chance of fishing this weekend!

Posted Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:50 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links