im interesed in shark fishing i take my boat out of niantic and was wounder what i have to do to catch some shark and where.

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:17 pm

What kind of sharks are you targeting??

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:47 pm

any type just want to have fun

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:01 pm

Real shark fishing is a serious sport with many regulations. You need to be geared up for it, unless you would be happy with dog fish. How big is your boat?? Blue sharks may be an option.

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:11 pm

it a 16 ft glassmaster with 70hp outbourd looking for somthing that i dont have to by really expensive gear. i normal go out of niantic and fish a couple 100 yard off shore. normal fishing for porgy and fluke.

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:16 pm

There's been some brown sharks around millstone recently, I myself never fished for them, maybe someone will chime in or do a google search for brown sharks and see what you can find out.
Of course there are sand sharks in the area you are talking about.

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:22 pm

what would i have to do to catch some sand sharks

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:33 pm

There was a very informative article on shark fishing from shore. The article was written in The Fisherman Plus magazine. It is the August 4th issue number 31. You also should contact the DEEP to find out if you need any permits and what could be legally caught. Good Luck

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:52 pm

I was fishing Black Point for fluke about a weeek ago and caught way more dogs than fluke.The largest being just under three foot.Another one swam right by the boat about a foot below the surface.Wasn't the target critter but it was fun.I was surprised how strong they are.I had to hold it with both hands and have my wife remove the hook.
There has been quite a bit of talk about fishing for brown sharks in Niantic lately.I even saw a video of one on youtube swimming around Niantic Bay Yacht Club.
Sandbar sharks are listed as protected on the D.E.P web sight.I thought sandbar and brown sharks are one and the same.
If I'm wrong someone correct me.I'll like to catch one myself.

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:56 pm

I could also use some clarity on the Brown/Sand/Sandbar shark thing. With so many common names, it is hard to keep everything straight. As I know it, there are 3 species of sharks to be (typically) found in Long Island Sound (besides skates and rays). I know of the Spiney dogfish (Squalus acanthias, a true Dogfish), the Smooth dogfish (Mustelus canis, a Hound shark), and the Sandbar shark (Carcharhinus plumbeus, a Requiem shark). This last one, the Sandbar shark, is the same species that the DEP lists a State Record for of 118lbs 7oz being caught from the CT river in 1995. The DEP lists the same record as a Brown shark. This shark is the largest of the three and can reach a length of 8', but I think is typically around 5'. So, I think most guys will need to upgrade some gear for sure; your not going to have a decent shot of bringing one in with your every-day Striper-and-Blue rod. There is some great advice in the article that Redneckangler linked to regarding sharking gear, but I don't feel is gospel for going for Sandbar sharks. I don't know for sure, but I am relatively certain that Bruce Kelly was not geared-up for and targeting Sandbar sharks that day in '95 at the mouth of the CT river.

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:49 am

From the DEEP website on fishing reports:

The sand tiger shark, sandbar shark, and smooth dogfish are protected and harvesting these species are prohibited in Connecticut waters. For more information concerning sharks, please go online to the following National Marine Fisheries Service website:

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/Linkpages/regulations.htm

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:28 am

Good post Flipper. That settles that. Wanna fish shark, head south of Block.

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:53 pm

bassfishing247

im interesed in shark fishing i take my boat out of niantic and was wounder what i have to do to catch some shark and where.

come with me in my 35 cabo sat 8/12/2017

Posted Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:12 pm

bassfishing247

Posted Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:12 pm

bassfishing247

Posted Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:13 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links