Throughout the course of the season I will be posting fishing reports and fishing articles at the following link.

http://www.misslorettafishing.com/Fishing-Reports---Articles.html

We do most of our fishing in the waters around Cape Cod, however I hope some of the techniques and tips will be helpful for those fishing Connecticut as well.

Best of luck and tight lines!

Captain Ryan Collins

http://www.misslorettafishing.com

Posted Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Look forward to your reports

Posted Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Striper Fishing has Lit the F*@^ Up!

The striper fishing was lit up, both literally and figuratively last night and tonight. After a 3:00pm put in on the start of an outgoing tide in Niantic yesterday, fishing went from slow to good. I'm pretty limited in where and in what conditions can fish my little skiff. Had a few blue blitzes and 4 short stripers on the outflow from 3:30-4:30. Working up Two-Tree, Bartlett's, Harkness and back to Black Point was completely unproductive. With storms approaching, I decided to head back into Niantic Bay and hit a few spots I like. Trolling T&W I had a strike within a 100 yrds, and thus began 2 hours of catching 25"-27" stripers with one monster that ripped the road out of the holder (ESPN worthy highlight catch on my part) and spooled my light trolling rig almost twice before breaking off. Couldn't sleep until 2:00am thinking about the hardest hit and run I have experienced in a while. Tonight we decided to cheat Mother Nature again, and left Stonington at about 4:00 just as high tide was peaking. Fishing with Jack Balint from The Fish Connection in Preston, whom I fish with several times a year and always have a great time. Jack specializes in light tackle and fly fishing, so we were working with GLoomis Pro-Green rods, light Stradic and Penn reels, 12lb.test and 7" pink and amber sluggos. Plan was poke around from the east of Fisher's until the tide picked back up, but 5 minutes out of Stonington we were on the fish. Right off the bat I was into a fish in the mid-30's (inches) and it kept going from there. Even as the tide went slack, the fish kept biting. You could see stripers on squid and ink blotches as the squid sought to escape. It was easy to follow the sluggos and see the fish moving in for the big surface strikes. It was a race to see how much fishing we could get in with the massive storm bearing down on us. Completely lost count of the fish landed in the 2 hours before a mad dash back to the barn. Most were in the mid-30's. Can't imagine (well, I can) what a few more hours at that pace would have been like.

Niantic stripers from Wed. night (Don't worry, this one went back to grow some more)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH0lAlFz2Cs[/youtube]
Thursday w/ Jack before another killer storm.

Posted Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Great report RNE! I've been toying with the idea of hauling my kayak out to the Barn,you just made up my mind for me. Thanks!

Posted Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:40 am

Very nice!!!

Posted Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:05 pm

nice fish

Posted Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:09 am

Hoping the bite will continue to stay hot. If the weather cooperates I want to fish Friday evening, catch a few hours in the truck, and then get back out on the water early Sat. AM. Don't know if I'm going to go Niantic or Stonington. Gotta stay in safe water as I will be back in my little boat. Wednesday 6/22 is a Diawa demo day on the Blackhawk, and the next week I will be fishing the OBX!

Posted Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Hit Stonington yesterday with a friend of mine. A little rainy early and it blew pretty hard for awhile so we had to paddle to the beach at Sandy point to take a break and to insure we don't get stuck to far out with a North wind making it very hard to get back to the launch. We never made it out past the break wall or to the spots we wanted to fish but did get into some school bass late during the incoming which pretty much salvaged our day. There are a lot of Blues around too............Almost forgot. If anyone's interested (Lung Very Happy ), there were 3,nice sized, fresh fluke racks littering the launch too!

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:37 am

Won a couple of passes for the Blackhawk this season, so I decided to go out today. Didn't want to risk getting caught out in a thunderstorm in my little boat. Foggy as hell all day, but very good fishing. Started on the outgoing tide up at the west end of the Race (couldn't make out a single feature all day). Hit big blues on every drift and a few stripers. As the tide went slack we ran down towards Race Rock and were picking up fish again before to long. Lots of keeper stripers in the mid-30" range. The striper bite went from late morning right into early afternoon. The last hour we were picking up several decent keepers a drift. Fish were throwing up a mix of squid and peanut bunker, and my friend Jack fishing from Stonington told me that another good run of squid had come in when I spoke with him this morning. Hope this bodes well for Sunday!

Posted Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:46 pm

Fished the shoreline from Niantic to Harkness today. Low tide was 3:39am at the Niantic Bridge, and I was on the water at 4:00am. After a few trolling runs I hooked a small blue and though crap, there go my soft baits and sandworms. Then a 24" striper, followed by a nice 38" fish, went for my tube and worm. By now the sun was coming up, and after another schoolie and some blank runs, I moved over to Black Point where I caught a larger blue and a few more short stripers. Crossed over to Millstone and picked off a pair of blues with a deadly dick before moving up towards Harkness. Goshen Beach and Harkness were holding clouds of sand eels at the mouth of Goshen Cove. I like to sight fish w/ light tackle, but the wind was picking up. I did a lot of casting around the bait schools and with both spinning and fly outfits, but finally went back to trolling, catching a fluke and another short striper before heading for home. Not a bad day.

Posted Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Wednesday 7/20 Niantic Report

Out early as per usual (about 4:00am), but after a few runs around Wigwam Rock moved up to Black Point instead of towards Bartlett's and Harkenss. Caught a few short stripers off of BP on tube and worm. Decided I would try around Hatchett's Point as I rarely fish that area. Given the tide times, I shouldn't have screwed around but gone straight there. Not much happening. The entire LIS was a mirror with a hot/hazy day approaching, and tide was going pretty slack by 7:30. Caught a few blues in some scattered schools as the small rip off BP died (nice 32" that put up a big fight on my light gear). Anyway, pretty slow day. Got back to the dock early as three guys were returning from Bartlett's each with a pair of stripers in the mid-30s. Turns out the top water bite was good all morning where I fish 9 of 10 times. Oh well.

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:20 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links