Went camping over the holiday weekend at my usual spot on Hopeville Pond. This one was the best fishing weekend I've had at this place. I did have really good bait in 7 (8"-10") live golden shiners. I also tried 50lb flourocarbon for a leader instead of steel. It was also really hot and sunny which is when this spot shines. Whatever it was, all the stars were in alignment this past weekend.

Went thru all 7 of the big guys on the first morning and had to go get a dozen pike shiners for the second day. Woke up in the morning and the batteries had died on my aerator and all the bait I just bought was dead. It didn't matter. Went thru all of them on the second day. On the third day, again I had gotten more pike shiners, and I hit the water with a buddy who wanted to try and catch one. He did.

In all we landed 8 northern pike for the weekend (I got 5 and my buddy got 3). I lost 2 right at the boat, broke 3 off, and had countless other hits that I did not hook up on. The sizes were 31", 32", 35", 35", 36", 37", 38", and 38", with the largest weighing 13lbs and 13.5lbs. Used the live ones under a bobber, and the dead ones on the bottom with just a splitshot. Fished 3 days from 6am till noon. All were caught in 4' of water or less. Here are pics of the 6 big ones.

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:56 am

WOW! ...........never heard of anyone catching pike in both numbers and size like that in July!................very nice!

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:32 pm

Very Nice!! Some great fish there, congrats! Go Fish

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I've got a spot on that lake where they stack up when it's real hot out. I tried to figure out why for the longest time, then I went there in the late fall and found a freshwater spring in the back end of the cove. As long as it is hot and sunny, they will be there. No little ones either. I think they get territorial over the best waters.

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:53 pm

VERY Nice! That's a helluva 4th of July weekend

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:13 pm

I got one pike (in my life) in Hopeville Pond, 23", which is not as big as the smaller one in you pictures, but that made big pike my goal for this year. I've got to say, those are impressive!

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:07 pm

I specifically target BIG pike. I don't even bother taking pics of anything under mid 30's anymore. I'm still looking for that 42" fish so I can join the 20lb club! The problem is I spend a lot of time with no action because of this. Most days are nothing like this past weekend. Mabey I found a formula?

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:15 pm

If you found the formula, bottle it and sell it. Since I've moved up here, I've caught one pike by accident. Seen some pics like yours of some nice fish though. May have to start looking for them more.

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:43 pm

Hey I forgot to ask. How did the 50lb flouro work? Any bite-offs?

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:23 pm

I had 1 bite off, but it was from a little one and the leader was pretty frayed already. It probably should have been replaced before hand. I was actually real happy with the flouro leaders. I think it made a big difference.

And yeah, they are out there. I just started fishing for them a few years ago, but have found some good spots. Bantam is my favorite.

Posted Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:55 am

flipper

I had 1 bite off, but it was from a little one and the leader was pretty frayed already. It probably should have been replaced before hand. I was actually real happy with the flouro leaders. I think it made a big difference.

And yeah, they are out there. I just started fishing for them a few years ago, but have found some good spots. Bantam is my favorite.

do you fish bantam a lot? I really don't have much luck in the summer I have yet to locate where they stay in the warm weather. I thought it would be where the river comes out but have never had real good lucky over there. I usually do good ice fishing for them in the south cove but I can't seem to find them in the warm.

Posted Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:00 pm

I usually have better luck in the south cove, too, even though you'd think north would be better. Early in the am they will be shallow and feeding even when it is hot. As soon as the sun comes out, fish the deep weedlines. The most important thing is to find weeds, especially deeper edges. I hardly ever catch them on lures, though. Always big live bait.

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:11 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links