if any one could help me i just started fishing for strippers and was wondering what to use for bait or where are some of the hot spots right now if any one could help me out i would really appreciate it thanks.

Posted Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:11 pm

alejandro219

if any one could help me i just started fishing for strippers and was wondering what to use for bait or where are some of the hot spots right now if any one could help me out i would really appreciate it thanks.

Normally the CT river would be a good spot this time of year, especially the southern stretch, say Haddam on down, but the river has been high and dirty this year making fishing unproductive for the most part.

Depending if you are fishing from a boat, depending on the size of the boat, your options will vary. The style of fishing can vary widely also, bait fishing, surf fishing, fly fishing, jigging, trolling etc.
You might want to read reports here on the "Striped Bass Reports" during the same month or close to it in previous years, if you have a specific question, post it as a reply, and I'm sure most will try and answer it.

Oh and by the way...if it's strippers you want, the good ole dollar bill is always a good choice in trying to lure them in at the local strip joint Smile
Stripers the swimmy fish is with one p
Good luck and welcome to the site.

Posted Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:02 am

thanks for the tip i didnt notice that i put 2 p's funny thou lol and i have one more ? whats a good lure for stripers

Posted Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:16 am

Pick up the current "Striper Special Addition" of On the Water Magazine. They also have a nice web site. This issue has a rundown of most of the main lures, from plugs to soft plastics, used in various conditions and locations. I'm a big fan of soft plasics like sluggos, swim shad, hogys and dozens of others, but metal lipped plugs, big poppers and numerous other lures are key surf fishing tools. You can't go wrong with live bait (eels, bunker, scup) or soaking fresh chunks either. Check out the OTW though.

Posted Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:35 am

thanks im going to have to try a lil of everything for now till i get the hang of it really but i m going this sat to new haven to go for porgys and try this new lure i got its call the fat free shad they say its real good for striper and bass but i guess ill see this weekend. Cool

Posted Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:16 pm

All great advice!

If you'd like to read up on some articles geared towards the beginner striper fishermen, feel free to check them out at my website.

www.misslorettafishing.com

Just click on Fishing Cape Cod Reports/Articles on the Home page of the site.

It's great to see new guys entering the sport. We were all beginners at one time.

Good luck! Persistence is all you need to catch these guys!

Posted Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:08 pm

thanks alot you have a real nice site there and alot of nice fish 2 but i went to new haven harbor today and tryed every thing i didnt even get a bite but i guess i have all sumer to catch them right lol but thanks to every one who gave advice keep catching them big ones Cool

Posted Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:19 pm

Thank you and good luck!

Good attitude too!

Posted Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:21 pm

do you only fish the cape

Posted Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:46 pm

alejandro219

i went to new haven harbor today and tryed every thing i didnt even get a bite but i guess i have all sumer to catch them right

A couple things to keep in mind, Stripers move around, they are in search of food. High tide and low tide can have totally different results in the exact same area.
You can throw plugs for hours without a sniff and the tide turns and the action becomes fast and furious.
Time of day, daytime and night time, night being the more productive supposedly, but I have done just fine during the day.
Sometimes it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time (tide) Wink

Posted Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:15 pm

thanks yea there was locals around who told me i missed it by a half hour but i think in going to try next weekend again they told me go a hour before high tide and i might have some good bites on striper and blues.

Posted Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:26 am

but you know what they say a bad day fishing is beter than a good day at work so i had a great day fishing even tho i didnt get a bite im going to tey some new spots neek weekend and keep every one posted

Posted Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:29 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links