STATE OF CONNECTICUT
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
79 ELM STREET HARTFORD, CT 06106-5127
ADVISORY TO THE MEDIA
WHAT: DEP Commissioner Daniel C. Esty will announce the Connecticut River Bonus Striped Bass Program that will allow anglers to take striped bass in a size range (at least 22 inches in length but shorter than 28 inches) outside the current recreational minimum length for stripers in Connecticut. The DEP is issuing vouchers to anglers that will allow them to take an additional 4,025 striped bass (stripers) from the Connecticut River through June 30.
Anglers can obtain vouchers at the same DEP Offices where licenses are sold and while fishing along the Connecticut River, from DEP Environmental Conservation (EnCon) Police Officers and Riverfront Recapture Rangers.
WHEN: Friday May 6, 2011
11:00 AM
WHERE: Charter Oak Landing Gazebo
50 Reserve Road
Hartford, CT

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 8:38 am

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 3:29 pm

I think it is a good move if the Herring are going to have a chance of making it. If the Herring don't show, I don't think you will see the stripers either.

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 3:35 pm

No I agree, I was just thinking what a cluster**** Charter Oak landing is gonna be on Friday. Must be a better way to do it than to put on a circus.

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 4:02 pm

Charter Oak is not the only place to obtain the voucher, you must have missed this

Anglers can obtain vouchers at the same DEP Offices where licenses are sold and while fishing along the Connecticut River, from DEP Environmental Conservation (EnCon) Police Officers and Riverfront Recapture Rangers.

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 4:32 pm

No I saw that too......Trust me once word is out that the run is on Charter Oak becomes quite a scene. You forget that I fish the jetty there and often launch there. You should see the guys that show up in the spring fishing almost shoulder to shoulder. Lots of real characters,lots of them keeping school bass anyway now they're only adding to it by holding this "event" there.Not the best move in my opinion.

Posted Fri May 06, 2011 12:26 am

Thanks for the link, Aqualung. I left for Block Island Thursday morning and missed this thread go up. By the way, nothing running around Block Island, but skates. Lots of them. I knew it was early, but it was for a bachelor party. All I took home was a hangover and a sunburn. Well, and some great memories...even if they are a little foggy.

I think this new policy is a bold move and I like it. It is a solid bottom-up approach to keeping the stripers coming. In addition, it may restore an additional historic fish run to its former glory.

Posted Tue May 10, 2011 8:18 am

Sounds like ya had a pretty good time on the Block, I have heard some reports, there are still cod to the South East of Block and the also Fluke are being caught in pretty good numbers. Doesn't sound like your trip was meant to be a serious fishing trip anyways Wink

Posted Tue May 10, 2011 8:28 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links