Just got back from a 10 day trip to the UK. Took a group of students so no time for fishing, nor did I have a rod and reel Crying or Very sad. Saw TONS of fish in streams, but only 1 person fishing in 10 days. Have no ideas about the regulations, seasons, etc. Plan to find out more before my next trip over. I'll definately pack a fly rod. Did stop by Farlows, the official outfitter of the Royal Family. You can drop about $12K on an outfit.

Quick clip of trout
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwIRYyO6PwE

Posted Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:42 pm

You didn't have a rod and reel?!?! I brought mine and I was there for my wedding anniversary! Hopefully you'll have another shot; Scotland is the fatherland for Atlantic salmon, especially if you're a fly-fisher. THE best Atlantic salmon returns on earth as well as some of the most dramatic and picturesque places to fish.

I don't recall any special or surprising regulations where I was (Hebrides), but be prepared to possibly be paying a liscense fee as well as rod fees. If you fish more than one area (usually a watershed I think) you may need another liscense and another rod fee. Some good research and planning is required. The rest of the UK is the same as Scotland, I believe.

Posted Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:35 am

Much bigger pike over there than in our neck of the woods. A chance at a real trophy. I'm talking 20lbs + Exclamation

Posted Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:39 am

VERY true, flipper. I'm glad you mentioned pike. There are two kinds of freshwater gamefish over there, salmon and pike. Everything else is "rough" or "coarse".

Posted Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:46 am

Thanks. I will do more research before my next trip. I had 14 kids to keep track of, so fishing was out. It was KILLING me to see so many fish in the River Stour in Canterbury, just feet away. My wifes family is all in the Manchester area, so next time I may plan an outing up to the Lake District.

Posted Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:23 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links