went out on 15th and caught 2, 14 inch flounder on the outgoing tide in the flats behind the beach. used sand worms. standard hooks with yellow beads. Smile

Posted Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:13 am

Way to go on the flatties Chumpot.

Posted Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:56 pm

[color=darkred]this past weekend my dad and i attempted to go fishing at haddam meadows when the ramp was flooded and we had boat problems. hoppfully we will go out this weekend and bang up some stripers

Posted Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:15 pm

friend played hookie yesterday and took two flounder from jette at parking lot. a 14 and 16 incher, sandworms out going tide

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:35 am

Nice, from shore even. You guys must live fairly close, I can't justfy driving from north of Hartford to Groton for 2 fish, maybe if I knew of some decent clamming in the general area I would give it a shot.

Seems the outgoing is the ticket, thanks for the report

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:17 pm

Aqua, I've seen folks dig buckets full of steamers there, just yards from where the flatties are caught. I've tried fishing there and it can be standing room only. It is, however, a beautiful spot for hiking/biking/picnicing etc.

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Ah OK Pugmeister, steamers huh, you mention standing room only, I assume you are referring to Flounder fishing this time of year, can't imagine much else being there other times of the year other than snapper blues, if it is the area I'm thinking.

Good to know you can dig steamers there, I was thinking more of the hard shell clams that can be raked, that digging for steamers can be hard work Wink

Posted Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:50 am

Yes, crowded for flounder fishing. Later in the season they get scup, fluke, bass, blues etc off the point and beach but it's a pretty long walk from the parking area. I'll bet that the boats I see clamming in the wide "river" beyond the parking lot are raking round clams (quahogs) It's a great place to take the significant other for a walk/picnic and a really nice place for young kids. There are so many deer there they have to stage controlled hunts. It connects to another gorgeous state park called Haley Farms Park. At Bluff Point there are the ruins of the home of Governor Winthrop and some of his fruit trees still grow there.

Posted Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:55 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links