After making a last minute decision to head out on the IC III for Fridays cod trip, I was unable to find anyone interested in going, so at 10:00 PM Thursday evening I headed down to Snug Harbor solo. I had checked with Capt. Chris earlier late afternoon about the number of reservations and as of that time there were 31 confirmed, so though maybe I was in luck.
Arrived at Snug Harbor at Midnight only to find a packed parking lot, parking was almost out to the street at this point, so I knew things where not looking very good for me. One thing I personally dislike is a very crowded boat, some people don't mind it but it's just one of those things with me, I try to find out as much info about the number of people expected as possible before making a 2 hour drive. Of course any operation is going to put as many people on the boat as possible within the boats capacity. The boats capacity and the amount of people that can be on a boat fishing somewhat comfortably in the winter with all their gear is 2 totally different things in my opinion, from being elbow to elbow to not having a seat in the cabin and being stuck outside on a bench in the cold sometimes wet ride out. Enough about my personal pet peeve back to the trip.
I did park out by the road and headed down to the get a look at the conditions, only to find that there was not one rod holder open for me to place a rod, benches full of gear and people I turned around and opted for plan B, I'm very lucky there was a plan B and that would be the FF, I figured I would be there plenty early to find a good spot on the rail with a seat in the cabin even. Sure enough I arrive at the lot at about 1:00 AM with one truck in the lot, I place my rod in the starboard stern corner at least I was going fishing after the ride down.
The boat ended up with a large crowd by the time we sailed, with 4 mates on board.
We arrived to the fishing grounds around 5:00 to find the IC III anchored after sometime of motoring around the area with a stiff breeze blowing which I'm sure made it a challenge for the captain to the boat anchored where he wanted it, I must admit I am always impressed when a captain can take a vessel of that size with the wind blowing and tide ripping and anchor it where they want.
Finally it was lines down, and after just not too long a time some fish started coming over the rail in the stern area anyways it was a good 30 minutes before I felt some life on the other end of my line, I boated my first of many short cod for the day. It was all a bait bite, I did not see one fish on a jig. It was not that long before some other boats joined us, after a little more time another couple boats, we were now a closely packed bunch, even if I didn't end up on the IC, I was close enough to monitor the crowd Wink
An hour or so after the sun came up things slowed and we broke away from the pack, we took a good long ride unfortunately that spot bombed out, and after a while we headed back to a spot closer to where we were originally.
All and all it was a good trip for me even with a good size crowd on the LF the mates were outstanding they were right there at the first sign of any issues. I ended my day with 4 keeper cod, the largest at about 25"
I brought plenty of fish over the rail well over a dozen shorts which kept me busy anyways.
The wind blew pretty good all day and it was cold out there, nothing like it was onshore I'm sure.
I'm hoping to head out again real soon to enjoy some more winter Block island winter cod fishing, and I'm glad I have two great operations to choose from.
A few pictures of the day.

Last edited by aqualung on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:31 am

Looks like a parking lot out there. Unbelievable how tight the boats get.

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:51 pm

Great report!....and thanks for the realtime texts that day.....guess you dont do too good without tbob there to bring out your A game.
Or maybe it was the lack of a brandy toast to the cod gods!

Posted Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:07 pm

tbob55

Great report!....and thanks for the realtime texts that day.....guess you dont do too good without tbob there to bring out your A game.
Or maybe it was the lack of a brandy toast to the cod gods!

It's probably the Brandy toast for sure

Posted Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:17 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links