Tips for helpings kid to fish

By Bob Gregorski Republican-American
Plop! Ryan’s bobber splashed on the quiet surface of the tiny pond.

The leader with baited hook barely submerged when the bobber moved downward. Ryan raised the tip of his spin rod and declared, “Papa, I got one.” He reeled in the hand-size bluegill, removed the hook and released it carefully.

That scenario will be repeated many times this summer with our four grandkids, Ryan, 9; Elizabeth, 12; Rachel, 11, and Brian, 10. Some of the vacation fun is fishing for panfish.

As the weather becomes more summerlike, we hope to do some paddling in kayaks and canoes.

Summer vacation is an excellent time to introduce kids to fishing. Over the years, I have watched many parents struggle teaching kids to fish. Here’s a brief primer: For kids ages 3-8, start with a small, inexpensive spin-casting rod with push button reel. The hooks should be small; sizes 12-18 are good to use for catching sunfish.

Press the barbs down on all hooks using needle-nose pliers. It makes the hook barbless and safer to use. The bait only need cover the very end of the hook. Most people practice catch-and-release and barbless hooks cause less harm to fish. The hook may be tied directly to the end of the monofilament line.

I suggest beginners use a bobber on their line. Tiny bobbers are used for tiny fish and large bobbers for large fish. Attach the bobber about 12 to 14 inches above the hook. More than two feet above the hook is difficult to cast.

I do not recommend using night crawlers when fishing for sunfish. Crawler bodies are too fat, and it’s more difficult to hook sunfish because of the large, firm crawler body. The baits that have resulted in many “bites” are small angle worms (a half-inch piece), small kernel corn and scented imitation worms, grubs and maggots.

A small jar of scented bait costs about $4 and will last a whole season. It is easy to carry and put on a hook. Most kids do not mind baiting a hook with them. Carry a towel or wet wipes of some type to clean hands after baiting the hook. These baits have a strong odor.

Now you have rod, reel, bobber, hooks and bait. Here are some other equipment/supplies that will be useful. Carry needle-nose pliers in your tackle pack to remove hooks and nail clippers to cut leaders and line. An inexpensive pair should last a season.

Insect repellent and sunscreen are good to have, as is a small bucket in which to hold sunfish for a few minutes. Be sure the kids understand that all fish will be released unharmed, and that they will be in the pail for only a short period of time.

Take kids fishing. It’s a sport they can enjoy for a lifetime.

Recent sightings at White Memorial Foundation include luna moth, black bear, cecropia moth, Eastern towhee, common nighthawk, common raven, bank swallow, Acadian flycatcher, Blackburnian warbler, indigo bunting, fireflies, N. dusky salamander, orchard oriole, magnolia warbler, mink, horned grebe, golden-crowned kinglet, bluet damselfly, Canada warbler, barred owlets and worm-eating warbler.

Posted Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:31 am

above all, have to teach them and have with them,,Patience,, so many time's they think as soon as the bate hit's the water they have to reel it rite in.
and as soon as the get a hit they reel it rite in.espically with panfish like blue gill and sun fish,as we know will toy with bate before actually taking it compleetly.

Posted Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:05 pm

I have the same problem with my son (Patience) after a while he will give up and find something else to do my daughter will fish all day.

Posted Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:16 am

In the late summer of 2010 I went to Pattaconck Lake and went Channel Catfishing,I had a canoe and was about 200 ft. off off the dam walk that juts out.Although I was in a boat I could have easily cast to the spot.I used light gear and rigged packaged catfish bait with spray fish attractant.I used a medium sized treble hooks with small split shots 18" inches above the hook then a small barrel weight followed by another split shot.I caught fish all day,some of very nice size.These are eager fighters,easy to catch and are great on the grill.These fish are brought into the state from Arkansas and are reaching good length,a kid will have no problem catching them,they will bite fast and fight good.I am sure that a line with a weight and a worm will work just as well. The spot that is off the dam is the deep spot,trust me you wont be disappointed,get your kid out there with a trusty zebco 202 and catch dinner,oh and bring some needle nose pliers to remove the hooks.

Posted Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:57 pm

Some great advice above. Patience is tough, so I made sure to head to spots w/ tons of panfish. Get them hooked and the patience will come. Danny started out at 3/4, and last year wanted to catch more bass because they are bigger! He's 5 but is casting a spinning rod OK. He actually prefers it to the spin-caster. Crushing the barbs is EXCELLENT advice as an occasional cast has gone awry. He also likes fishing live bait on small circle hooks. Pretty much assures a hookup. His older sister doesn't like to fish as much, but she HATES to lose to Danny.

[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=110&u=13096288]
[/url]
[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=142&u=13096288]
[/url][url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=14&u=13096288]
[/url]

Posted Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:47 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links