I've been using a Shakespeare Microspin 4'-6" combo and noticed that when I put on some Berkley Trilene XL 12 lb the line frequently gets wrapped around, and under the tension knob. Never had that happen before. I've never been able to witness it happen. When I start cranking after a cast, it just doesn't feel right and now that's the first place I check. Is it the line (maybe the line is too heavy), the reel or wait for it ……………………… ME?
I also increased my arsenal today with a Shakespeare, 2 piece, 6' Cirrus spin combo. I may go back to Pachaug Pond this afternoon/evening to check it out

Last edited by pramsey on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:17 am

Before I read any further when I saw 4'-6" combo and 12# test I instantly thought to heavy. Do you close the bail with your hand or spin the reel to close the bail??

Last edited by aqualung on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:04 pm

Agree with lung.....but also maybe too much line on spool?....if thats even possible....by the way,does wife know bout the new rig?

Posted Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:36 pm

tbob55

... does wife know bout the new rig?

aqualung

... when I saw 4'-6" combo and 12# test I instantly thought ...

I had a suspicion about the line weight 'lung, but I was letting the bale close on it's own. And, if you mean MY wife, tbob, no she doesn't know about the new rig or the 3 Scotty rod holders that I put in the yak, which is technically her's but I'm the only one to use it so far.

Last edited by pramsey on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:34 pm

Lung is correct with line size.
I have the same microspin combo and it is rated for 2 - 6lb test. I only use it for trout fishing with 4 lb line. Very sensitive for fishing off the bottom.
May want to start flipping the bail over manually with your hand as much as possible. Letting it automatically close when you turn the handle can wear out the bail spring prematurely.

Posted Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:42 pm

Got it, "size does matter" It casts fine and if I flip the bail manually I don't get the wrap around the tension knob. Thanks for the education!!!
Also tried out the new rig today on Pachaug Pond and it works great. No pike today, but WOW do those white perch put up a fight, I think lb/lb maybe more than a SMB. A few pics will be in the trip report.
P.S. the new rig was only about $25 tbob.

Last edited by pramsey on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Just scanned you trip. The buoys are not for skiing, there a shallow water maker. All the pike I have caught there have been in the lower end of the pond on the other side of a large island, across from the camp ground.

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:10 am

Thanks for the info Elon. Looking at the bathy chart that makes sense. There is a band of 3 ft water in about that area. A friend of mine hooked a pike in the north end of the lake in the area of a big pumpkin colored house right on the lake with a sea wall arangement on two sides.

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:46 pm

May be futile, but I'm going after some walley on Saturday at Gardner Lake.

Posted Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:02 am

good luck...you gonna need it.

Posted Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:40 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links