I recently took a 22 inch, 5 pound bass from the Yantic River above Fitchville Pond. A few site members have reviewed the trip and given low scores. I should have released it? I have some confusion here.

My understanding is this. If you take small bass, say 2 lbs or less, that is one bass that will not grow up to be a big bass and spawn (maybe it has, maybe it hasn't) and raise more little bass which in turn will grow up to be big bass. However, a big bass will eat more food, which may in turn, lower the survivability of the smaller fish.

However, if you only take larger fish, you are removing a “big eater” which (I assume) has already spawned and leave the smaller bass to grow and become big bass which can spawn and leaving more “bait/food” for the smaller bass to grow………on and on.

Now I realize the reason for slot limits which, many complain about, but I seem to have imposed on myself for a couple of reasons without even realizing it.
(1) I like to eat fish now and then, but I’m not a big fan of cleaning them. Therefore, keeping the big one allows a meal without having to clean several small ones.
(2) I also feel that small ones should get a chance to grow up and spawn, so I will release them unless I injure them in the process of catching or de-hooking them.

From what I have read (and not just from the link below) a 1 year old spawning age/size bass could weigh as much as two pounds. That 5 pound bass I took could have been anywhere from 2 years old to 5 years old depending on food supply.

http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/selective_harvest.html

What is the best for the fish population and recreational fishing? I realize that the answer to this question is primarily one of opinion and maybe there is realy not one correct answer, but I'll take my lumps. Maybe I should make this a pole but the rational options are not clear to me.

Posted Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:33 pm

One thing you may have missed/over-looked is genetics. And this I think is what some of the other members had in mind when they gave you low scores or showed disapproval with you taking a 5lb bass. Not all bass have the genes for a fast growth rate/large adult size. A large bass with good genes can lay many eggs and therefore pass on thier good genes to many fry,theorhetically strengthening the population. If you have a bunch of small bass breeding,some of them inferior fish that will never attain lunker size no matter how much forage is present it weakens the gene pool and the population. I don't have a college degree or anything like that but I do keep and breed tropical fish. I have around 28 fish tanks in the house right now and this is an area of lifelong study for me. I've probably bred between 30 and 40 species of fish and destroy many fry because of this exact principle. Hope this has shed some light on the subject.

Posted Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:54 pm

The reason I say to eat the small ones is, when you are out fishing the reason you catch so many small bass is because of there need to feed, they eat constantly where a large bass may only eat one time a day or if a meal falls in it's lap. Carp also has a good point genetics plays a big part on a bass getting above the 5 pound mark.

Great topic and you did a great job stating your point.

Posted Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:53 am

The more you bass fish you'll notice some ponds have nothing but small fish. Genetics at work again. It's your right to keep what you catch, but maybe next year you'll pull it in again at 6.5lbs. Big females produce alot of eggs. Take a picture as you earned that, then watch her swim away. The size of bass we catch today is due to most guys throwing them back. Eat the smaller ones.

Posted Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:25 am

I'm not sure I agree with all, but good feedback to consider. Thanks

Posted Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:42 am

Carp said it best. A large bass with good genes can lay many eggs and therefore pass on thier good genes to many fry,theorhetically strengthening the population

Anyway a 5lber is a nice fish good catch.

Posted Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:05 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links