Did a fishing trip out of Point Judith with "the shark" on his boat on Sunday 8-15.
Arrived at 7:15 AM the lot was completely full so we had to go park the trailer elsewhere.
By the time we were on the water it was 8:00 AM.
Weather has just been haunting me lately the breeze was pretty stiff when we went through the west side break wall, just out to the west 300 yards or so a group of boats were gathered, we went and checked it out, school of blues on the small side, made a couple cast with no love, so we continued on our mission in hopes of finding some fluke. Our first spot was not very good, we fished the area for maybe an hour and a half.
We headed east when we saw a group of boats working an area so we joined them, at this point the wind was blowing even stronger.
Wasn't long and Mark boated the first keeper fluke at 20" and very shortly there after Mark caught a decent Black Sea Bass, He was keeping busy with many short fish, then finally I get smacked, and I just said to Mark, 'This is a good fish' after a nice fight that bent my rod and pulled drag several times my PB Black Sea Bass was in the net. 22" I did'nt weight it, but a great fish.
Soon after the tide died and Mark wanted to check out Narragansett bay so off we went, we never made it into the bay but stopped by Jamestown bridge to see what we could catch there, nothing but a couple shorts and one small Blue that Mark caught on his fluke rig. I forgot to mention on our ride there I saw 2 gulls in the water and a little commotion next to them, I asked Mark to check it out, It ended up being a good size blue about 8 pounds that looks like it had a gaff wound I had Mark make a pass and netted the fish, my dogs love poached bluefish.
Anyway we decided to head back to the first area, well the ride back was very rough, the tied had changed and the wind was blowing pretty hard, took several waves over the bow of the 18' Starcraft that had Mark a bit nervous, he is still new to the ocean boating scene and this was only the 2nd time he had the boat out in the ocean, the conditions ended up being a good training session for him.
Once we found shelter back at the Harbor Mark was relieved so we took a break and then noticed some birds working an area right at the end of one of the break walls, I threw a skitter walker for a few cast and then I get a hit..well thought is was a hit something was on the line, it ended up being a young Cormorant that I managed to hook in the wing, I reeled it in slowly and grabbed it and worked on freeing the plug from the bird, took a couple minutes and only had one small flesh wound from the beak of the bird, I released and it flew away, that was it for the day, too much excitement for one day.
In the end we had 1 fluke, 2 sea bass, 2 blues, 1 jumbo porgy, 1 cormorant.
I will post a few pics of the day when I get a chance.

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Great report....Congrats on that real nice seabass!.....you are one birdcatchin,bluepoachin handsome young man in those photos!!!

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:32 pm

I thought he was choking a chicken.

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:48 am

lundrunner

I thought he was choking a chicken.

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:57 am

Yeah, I'd say that guy has a hell of a grip on that chicken! Wink REAL NICE bass guys! ...............Lung, thanks for dropping off that rod at the other old guy's place,much appreciated.

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:06 am

do you really think he dropped it off?......I happened to drive by his house and he was havin a fishin tackle tag sale!....your rod was one of many on a table for sale!

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:27 pm

Well in that case Thank You TBob!............appreciate that......................................I just figured that the easter bunny must have left some eggs in your yard for the chicken choker! Wink.......He sure looks happy holdin that bird,don't he?

Posted Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:22 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links