08/12/10 Copied from "Offshore Pursuits"

The Cape at Large...

Once again it is the Bay that is the big producer. Lots of bass and bluefish with some really big fish mixed in. Hap's report pretty well spells it out.

There are giants being caught on Stellwagon and beyond. Reports of some big fish coming off the SE corner are persistent. Rumors of an 800 lb fish being taken in the past couple of days are plentiful. There were some fish caught off Jeffries earlier in the week that pushed the 80" mark. The story goes that plastic took the fish.

I know a couple hiliners headed to the Bank and beyond looking for giants this weekend. Live bait under a kite will be their bait of choice. I will keep you informed as to what transpires. This same bunch was supposed to fish the Cuttyhunk Offshore Tournament this weekend but that was canceled due to weather. I believe the Falmouth Grand Prix is still on.

All I am hearing east of Chatham is frustration. There are fish around but they are not active. It appears that the big fish are way offshore. maybe it will be like last year and they will come in en mass late in the fall.
That worked for me last year!

The sound seems pretty warm and all am hearing is bluefish and bonito. What few stripers that are being caught are on the small side. I imagine the best place for stripers is just inside the federal waters east of the rips of Monomoy. That is where the commercial fleet posted in great numbers last week and I haven't heard of any great changes.

The canal has turned on a bit with all the fresh bait around. Some decent fish have been taken of late. Jigs and topwater...both extremes are working.

Offshore south and east to the Canyons will remain to be seen. Phenomenal fishing out there this year so far, but we will see what this weekend does to the fishing.

Whatever your flavor, hit it hard this weekend. Just think...hunting season is just around the corner. Whether that means giant bluefin or giant whitetail, or both...the magical time of year is coming sooner than we think. If you are like me, you are torn between the two. But...bluefin wins every time!

Posted Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:23 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links