"Get Hooked on Connecticut"

Free Member Sign Up!
Already a Member? Login Here.
Add to Favorites

CT Fish Finder Forum Index
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 

Report 7-23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CT Fish Finder Forum Index -> Saltwater Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyangler
Panfish Rank

Total Points: 224

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Report 7-23 Reply with quote

Left the dock much later than usual this morning, close to 8 AM. Found breaking stripers at Bartletts through the last hour of the flood tide. Bait is a combination of butter fish and silversides. If the fly is longetr than 1.5" it will be ignored. Started with full sinking line with straight 15lb. florocarbon leader. Top fly was my favorite Blonde pattern - gray over white tied on size 1 straight shank hook. Fish continued to feed sporadically during slack, but were very skittish. Once the tide started moving again hooked up on almost every drift using a intermediate line with 5 foot tapered leader and 2 foot 12 lb. florocarbon tippet. Fish ranged in size from 25 to 30 inches.

Surprise of the day... hooked a weakfish which I lost as I was trying to get it on the Boca. I hit the leader and ripped the fly loose. The last time I caught a weakfish in this area was close to 20 years ago.
So far no bluefish, hopefully they will stay away for a while longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CT Fish Finder Forum Index -> Saltwater Fly Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: