Me,tbob and his son Rhet headed out of a foggy Barn Island in search of some fluke. Rhet started it off boating about 6 fish including a nice sea bass but the fluke were all shorts.
Finally tbob and myself managed to get in on some of the action.
We managed a nice well of fish in the end of Fluke, Sea bass, and some porgies
We put in a full day, fishing was on the slow side but a beautiful day on the water once the fog burned off.
I caught a nice 27" fluke which I was happy with.
The last fluke of the day for me was caught on a small yellow perch which was left over ice fishing bait, and piece of squid.
I have been using frozen shiners for bait for fluke and they work just fine, so don't throw away any left over bait you may have, just freeze em up and use em for fluke Wink

Posted Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:40 am

Another GREAT DAY out on the water.Thanks again very,very much for the invite Lung!Freeekin sweet Dually-Diesel you gots!!!Me and the Rhetster got up again this morn at 5 and hit Coventry for 4 hours!He sleepin like a baby right now while I keep on goin doin stuff!If you get out again like you hope to GOOD LUCK BUD!!!Gonna be tough to top that nice 27 you got yesterday!!!

Posted Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:11 pm

Looks good. Lung, I would be pretty happy with a 27" fluke too. Very Happy Do you know how much it weighed?

Seeing those black seabass, that is one thing I miss out that way. We used to keep our boat in Noank and caught some nice black seabass. The drive was killing me, so we are in Westbrook. We have done pretty well with fluke, but a lot of shorts lately and the porgies are in. But, we don't see any black sea bass. I have heard there are some humps off of Hammonasset that have black seabass we are going to check out. But, in Mystic when it was slow getting keeper fluke, getting a couple of good black seabass could make a nice meal.

Posted Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:12 pm

You're quite welcome tbob was definitely a decent day on the water.
As you can see by me typing this I didn't get back out there today, the weather screwed up my plans.

How did you and Rhet do at Coventry anyway?? I must of missed that report..Hahahaha

Good luck in RI the next few days.

Peter I didn't weigh the fish so don't really know, I would guess 6lbs maybe?

Posted Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:12 am

We had a 27" a few weeks ago and it went 6-12. Thats a real fat fish Lung. I'll be out there sunday to try my luck.

Posted Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:35 am

Be nice if there were more of the big ones around LR

Went out yesterday with 'the shark' same place different day, totally
different results only one keeper that I caught and a handful of shorts for an entire day. I sent the keeper back in at the end of the day to fight another day. OH on an interesting note, I caught 2 squid on my spro jig.

Good luck on Sunday, ya never know might bump into you out there one of these days.

Posted Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:43 am

Hooking up with Bigoutdoors. Always a good time. Will report our results. I get to try out the new GPS. Very Happy

Posted Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Nice fluke Capt. Lung! Pretty bass too.

Posted Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:09 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links