On the water this morning at 0:500. Stiff breeze out of the north pushed a 1ft chop. Cruised south to Little Gull Island with hope some stripers took up residence in the reef. Two overweight seals greeted me as I set up my first drift to the east of the Island. Seals usually mean poor fishing. After a dozen or so drifts with nary a hit, I steered west toward Great Gull. A few birds were picking up sand eels at the edge of the rip. My line came tight after only a few strips on my first cast. The fish quickly took line heading into the the rip. While trying to steer the boat away from the boulder field, the line went slack. Inspection showed a bluefish bit me off. After re-rigging, I set up a drft that would pull the boat into the quieter water closer to the island. Same script... bluefish bit through the 16 pound floracarbon tippett.
I tried a couple of more drifts and managed to bring in a blue to the boat. Decided to head north and try the rip at Black Point. No luck and was back at the dock before 9.
Fished olive flat wing deceivers. Need to tie more as I'm down to three flies.

Posted Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:28 pm

I bought some of the "toothy critters" wire leaders from Bass Pro. Not the greatest knot tying leader, but the blues shouldn't bite through it.

Posted Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:53 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links