Hi, I'm looking for a place to catch porgy/scup. I took the boat out from Niantic (by the Blackhawk) to a spot about 3 miles from the bridge. It was right next to a light marker. Caught several there, but also lost my anchor as the current was extremely strong. The anchor must have gotten wedged in some rocks so I had to cut it free.

Anyway, I'm looking for a place where the current isn't so strong.

Thanks!

Posted Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:27 am

i used to fish porgy all the time when i was younger and i always had good luck off of bluff point and black point. also ive heard of the areas around ocean beach and rocky neck have been good this year too.

Posted Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:33 am

Scup are a blast!! I have had good luck at Hatchet's and the tide is not violent. You can even anchor there with out getting hung up. Have fun!!

Posted Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks, guys! I'll check out those spots! Hopefully I don't lose another anchor Wink

Posted Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:56 pm

By the way.. What's the bead on top of the hook for?

Posted Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi, I don`t know what kind of boat you have. I have been drifting from west to east at both Millstone Outflow from the red bell can to just past the outflow. I have caught everything from porgies to sea bass to fluke to stripers to blues. I have also had luck drifting Bartlett`s Spindle and have done with porgies and sea bass and in the fall it is a great blackfish spot. Inside Niantic Bay also has some great spots like White Rock, Little Rock and Threefoot Rock. Just becareful on the depths to some of these spots especially in the bay.

Posted Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:37 pm

I am not sure what the bead represents but it does work. When you put the squid strip on make sure you hook it several times and allow a tail to hang of. The movment that creates seem to stract them. Watch the finder but most of the time the scup are in 15 - 25 feet of water. Have a blast!!

Posted Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:47 pm

i think the bright red bead is to grab the porgys attention with a quick flash. also could be to make the bait look more like a squid, not sure on that though.

Posted Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:03 pm

Romanaround mentioned some good spots, but you went about 2 3/4 miles past the bridge further than you need to catch scup if you have a small boat. I catch mine for bait right at the top of Niantic Bay in about 15 ft. You will have a fair number of smaller fish here though. I had to throw back about a dozen to get four keepers the other day. Some of the other areas mentioned will produce some consistently bigger fish as well as the other stuff mentioned. They are a lot of fun on a lightweight setup.
Good luck.

Posted Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:11 pm

romanaround5246

Hi, I don`t know what kind of boat you have. I have been drifting from west to east at both Millstone Outflow from the red bell can to just past the outflow. I have caught everything from porgies to sea bass to fluke to stripers to blues. I have also had luck drifting Bartlett`s Spindle and have done with porgies and sea bass and in the fall it is a great blackfish spot. Inside Niantic Bay also has some great spots like White Rock, Little Rock and Threefoot Rock. Just becareful on the depths to some of these spots especially in the bay.

I'm on a 20' SeaDoo Jetboat. It gets a bit rocky at times since it's really designed for lake use, but we manage.

Posted Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:18 am

Thanks for the advice. We'll have to check those places out.

Posted Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:20 am

romanaround5246

Hi, I don`t know what kind of boat you have. I have been drifting from west to east at both Millstone Outflow from the red bell can to just past the outflow.

What he said..I caught this guy today right next to the boat launch.

I didn't know what it was.

Posted Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:59 pm

Lots of Porgy around Niantic/Millstone. Been out the last 2 Wednesdays,lot of fish just short of keeper size though. Tons of little Black Sea Bass too.

Posted Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:00 am

Went out at 1:00am to fish the ebb tide. Did a loop around Niantic Harbor looking for bunker. No luck. As the tide was starting to build, there were schoolies breaking all over the place between the bridges. I fished right up in the construction barges and bridge footings until the outgoing current became too much. I was tempted to anchor to a barge in the lee. A friend of mind caught a 38 pounder early Thursday morning in there. With no bunker, I was left with a few eels and hoping to drift them off Black Point, but fog rolled in Sad Basically has to fish in the upper part of the bay until pre-dawn. Caught a few more schoolies off some rockpiles. By the time the fog lifted, the snapper and small tailor blues were out, and my eels didn't fare too well. Decided to play around with porgies. Loads of small black bass. Caught a few keepers and a lot of shorts. Went in on the slack tide. Needed some sleep!

Posted Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:17 pm

redneckangler

Went out at 1:00am to fish the ebb tide. Did a loop around Niantic Harbor looking for bunker. No luck. As the tide was starting to build, there were schoolies breaking all over the place between the bridges. I fished right up in the construction barges and bridge footings until the outgoing current became too much. I was tempted to anchor to a barge in the lee. A friend of mind caught a 38 pounder early Thursday morning in there. With no bunker, I was left with a few eels and hoping to drift them off Black Point, but fog rolled in Sad Basically has to fish in the upper part of the bay until pre-dawn. Caught a few more schoolies off some rockpiles. By the time the fog lifted, the snapper and small tailor blues were out, and my eels didn't fare too well. Decided to play around with porgies. Loads of small black bass. Caught a few keepers and a lot of shorts. Went in on the slack tide. Needed some sleep!

You get an A for effort for the middle of the night trip. I was thinking with this humidity it must be getting foggy on the water.
At least you didn't get skunked

Posted Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:15 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links