So I went back to the same spot in Niantic yesterday. I wanted to try some other spots that were suggested above, however, we were pressed for time.

Didn't do so bad. Caught 7 larger than 12". For little fish, those things can really fight. Tons of fun.

Right now I have the basic traditional setup, (hook and weight). I looked into a few other rigs which look very interesting. My concern is that the current may be too strong for these multiple hook setups and tangle. Your thoughts?
http://ultimatefishingsite.net/porgy-fishing/

What setup are you using?

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:51 am

They are solid fish..very powerful for their size...I caught my largest to date today...Winds and tide was all eff'd up...I thought I was anchored and when I looked up 20 minutes later I was about three miles away from where I was...this would not be a problem for most, but when you've got a trolling motor with battery power at high tide and chop, well, my bunghole puckered..

So then I just went to check my other pole..I never do this. (fish two poles at once) Today I figured since my depth finder said I was in 100 foot water, everything I've been reading says that is where the fluke are. This was my first opportunity this year at this depth and I had some Gulp Alive grey shrimp I never tried...so I figured why not now since I only snagged one fluke this year..on the fringe of being legal...well, just as I put my other fishing rod down to check the Berkly gulp, I felt a little resistance, then the drag started screaming..and I thought, I'm hooked on the bottom..then it releaseg...and it felt like I had something on the line, but it felt like nothing by the time I got it up. It was the head and gills of a very large fluke with my bait all the way inside the stomach. I admit, I should not complain..I thought I was going to get skunked and I got a nice bunch of fish, but fugg! That sucks...I've seen that with Marlon and then the shark comes up at the last minute and chomps it. People always seem to be good sports about it thought.

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:41 pm

As far as your set up goes. Just go to a bait and tackle store..my favorite is Teds in Old Saybrook. All bait stores have what the call now "fish finders." It's like a metal swivel attached to a plastic dome.
So what is allows you to do is run your fishing line through the dome and add your weight right on the "swivel" attachment....so what you have is you weight on the bottom of the ocean and your bait rising above through this plastic attachment...maybe you already know about it..maybe it doesn't make much sense, but just ask your bait and tackle store....and of course just pick up the # 2 Porgy hooks..or whatever they recommend with Porgs.

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Fish Finder- (old wallet)

Weight on fish finder

The line from your Rod goes thru the white plastic part which is tied to a hook...thats how I've been doing it anyway

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:11 pm

Very close to the other one I had. This one weighs more.

I'm going to start measuring the width instead of the length.

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:24 pm

I just use the drop shot rig with a snelled porgy hooked connected with a loop to loop about a foot or so over the sinker. I don't bother with two unless I'm out looking for black bass as well. One brings them in fast enough.

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links