By News Channel 8's Annie Rourke
Posted June 10, 2008
4:40 PM

(WTNH) _ If you're one of those people who easily gets Poison Ivy, this summer could be a real problem. It can turn a fun summer day into an annoying, even dangerous, medication situation. And this year, News Channel 8 has been told, we'll be seeing even more Poison Ivy than usual.

It looks innocent enough but Poison Ivy is anything but. Even park rangers have felt its sting.

"Oh, I've had it also, yup, from weed-whacking it in East Rock Park many years ago and keeping the trails open, been to the emergency room once or twice when I was younger," Vincent Lavorgna, Brooksvale Park Ranger, said.

This year, it could be even worse than normal, a lot of rain followed by hot, humid weather is exactly the kind of conditions Poison Ivy flourishes in. The hyper-contagious weed comes in all shapes and sizes, this hairy vine, the waxy leaves of three even ground cover.

"Be aware that it may be on your shoes or on your pants and you can be re-infected every time you're touching them again," Lavorgna said.

That itchy red rash can spread from your arms, down both legs. "Oh, yeah, like all over the legs, it was pretty nasty," Jim Brakewood, of New Haven, said.

Brakewood's experienced the unpleasant summer sensation. So, this couple always keeps it in mind when they're out and about.

"I try my best, you know, obviously you see the, uh, look for the shiny leaves and all that," Brakewood said.

"I've heard bad stories about people getting it in their lungs from fires and stuff and that's why I'm just like, don't go near it," Lauren Strazener, of Hamden, said.

The only good news, Ranger Vinnie tells News Channel 8 that nature provides an antidote. The jewel weed, usually found right next to poison ivy, can actually stop it in its tracks.

"It will remove Poison Ivy oil from your skin," Ranger Vinnie said.

Posted Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:40 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links