Once again I followed tradition and arrived at about 5:40 at favorite spot on the Farmington. Openiong day is a rite of passage from winter into spring. After a short walk through the woods, I arrived at the river and rigged up. There were no other anglers within 200 yards of me up or downstream.
At 6:01 AM, I made my first presentaion of a BH Hares Ear. It took four or five drifts before my indicator moved sideways from the sucking action of a trout. My reaction was a split second to long and I missed the fish. The next drift, however, I was ready and was fast to a nice rainbow that tail walked over the pool before sliding into my net. A quick flick of the nymph and the bow headed back into the depths opf the pool.
For the next couple of hours, the action was consistent. I used three nymphs - BH Hares Ear, BH Black Sone Fly and BH CT Special. Headed to breakfast then home about 9:30.

Posted Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:20 pm

good report....congrats on a successful opening day!

Posted Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:28 pm

Did better than I did. Now I know you have a clue what your doing out there, as for me........not so much! But it fun to try! Smile I first got a fly rod when I was 13 or 14 years old, and used it now and then over the years. It a 5-6 weight 8ft rod. It's just too long for some of these small stream here in the north east. I picked up a cheapy Eagle Claw feather light 3-4 weight 6.6ft rod, and a cheapy no name reel 3-4 weight line. I spooled it with 3 weight floating line with backing. My son and I took off this am heading for the Natchaug river in Mansfield. Now my son is a teenager and is not easy to get up in the morning. So by the time we got to the river, half of the North East corner was wading in the river!

So we headed back to Brooklyn and fished the Blackwell Brook. It's a small stocked brook down my street. We were in the water about 45 minutes when my son said he got one.

It was a nice fish, about average for this brook. We fished for a few hours before we......well he had a mishap and kinda got a tad bit wet! Laughing So we called it a day.

I did discover that the shorter fly rod is perfect for this size stream. There are lots of trees that protrude out over the stream and a longer rod would be problematic. Well for a armature anyway. We are heading back down there in the morning, and I hope to actually hook a fish! Very Happy Oh after the mishap, i discovered that my waders leak! no wonder I couldn't feel my toes! Stopped at Waly world and got a new pair.

Posted Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:44 pm

ehertzfeld
It's great to get out with kids no matter their age. My son is away at college. He was my opening day partner for many years.
Keys to succes are: Fish where the fish are, and good presentation.
Try Bead-head Wooly Buggers in black or olive for early season success.

Posted Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:42 am

Sounds like my opening day. I put down the fly rod for the day and took my 6 year old son to the local fishing derby. My teenage son also sleeps to the crack of noon, so no sense in fighting the age.
My youngster got 3 trout that morning and it made for a perfect opening day. Already took him back once.
But this weekend will be daddy's with fly rod in hand. Hopefully the trout will like the flies I learned to tie this winter as much as I do! Very Happy

Posted Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:49 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links