CT Blue Crab Special Report – Waves of crabs detected perhaps moving both east and west

August 22, 2012
Information obtained on August 14-18 appears to contain reports that a series of large waves of adult blue crabs are moving along Connecticut’s coast.
These crabs have a very different appearance and don’t resemble the bright white/blue shells of spring and summer. These crabs might be several years old perhaps the 2006 and 2009 Megalops set survivors.
Crabbing has soared in Branford and Guilford and now Milford. This is a very good sign for western Connecticut crabbers. The densest population this year based upon crab catch reports so far has been the New Haven estuary – Quinnipiac, Mill and West Rivers. We do not know the source of these “new” crabs.
What to look for:
1. These populations contain yellow face crabs– a piece of yellow around the mouth area. Yellow face crabs have been observed in Clinton Harbor on August 18th. Yellow face crabs have not been observed in the CT River population as yet.
2. A significant portion of the population has a second growth claw – a perfect claw that is about half the size of the regular claw – this is a crab that is several years old, it takes several years to re-grow a lost claw, perhaps 2 to 5 years. Reports of any crabs with a second smaller claw would be helpful.
3. The shells of these crabs show numerous injuries, sometimes shell damage that has healed, some may even be missing a point entirely. I have seen two of these crabs in Clinton Harbor last Monday. The shells show nicks, scratches etc. It is obvious that they have been in these shells quite awhile.
4. The underneath areas might have a brown growth, looks like an algal coating of some kind. The claws may have dark brown patches or black streaks toward the tips.
5. No female sponge crabs appear to be a part of these populations.
We may be able to track the movements of these crabs by the date and time they appeared in crabbing spots. (General location is fine). I would appreciate any reports of these crabs or sightings.
Thanks, Tim Visel
Please email reports to: tim.visel@new-haven.k12.ct.us
Notice: WARNING – These crabs are very large averaging 7 to 7.5” point to point. They have very strong claws and I have seen one at Clinton Harbor nearly cut a 5 inch crab in half. They are what has been described as “rock hard” – hard shells; I banded one at the Indian River, Clinton over the weekend and it took two lobster bands in each knuckle to reduce fighting. Please exercise caution etc.

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:36 am

Gonna crab on Sunday early, Waterford or East. Will post pics of any "super crab".......................think I'm officially a crabby bastid....................big fun screwing around with those bugs!

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:03 pm

Went out with Mac yesterday,had to work hard for them got about 30,mostly 5-6 inch range. Working on some insider info for the Ct River mouth. Gotta find the big boys!

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:10 pm

They should be around for a while yet.
You might like this info.

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?topic=59982.0

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Got 2 of these in Guilford in a 40 crab 4 hour run. They were pushing 8" and def stuck out in a crowd.

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:36 pm

aqualung

They should be around for a while yet.
You might like this info.

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?topic=59982.0

...............one step ahead of you captain,been trying to pump those guys for information for weeks!

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:45 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links