I recently purchased an Intex Mariner 4 with an electric trolling motor.
Just pased the PWC exam yesterday. (That was a long 8 hours.)

I admit to feeling a bit overwhelmed about first, which river would be best for me. I would NOT be using fly's but instead using spoons, rooster tails and some other highly recommended artificial bait while drifting with light line and a fluorocarbon leader.

I live in Meriden CT. I've heard the Farmington river is great for trout fishing, but one of the most frustrating things is, the river is huge. Some videos I've seen on youtube look very shallow, which concerns me about the prop of the motor. Also, I don't want to be floating close to fly fisherman in a narrow channel.

The other issue is even after researching for hours, Ive come to realize boat launches do not have addresses, which makes it very difficult to even find a beginning spot to start with.

I was wondering if some of you could give me some advice based on the type of fishing I would like to do. I'd like to bring a couple fish home and throw them on the grill once in a while...and the rules and regs are confusing to me with the TMA's and where exactly the are.

So, I'm looking for water I can troll in, where the water is moving at a decent hight and the location of a boat launch to fish in the farmington river...I realize Meriden is not very close but apparently since it flows into Mass, I'd be looking for the southern end of the river....The town of Farmington is probably the closest to me.

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:58 pm

it may be a little out of your way, but the lower section of the salmon river has been good to me. There are a few rules on the area right before the cove, and 15" is one, but thats a decent grilling fish IMO. I have herd the farm can be very trechorous, although i have not fished it. the only thing to watch out for when fishig the cove and salmon river is rocks and trees at low tide. The water is not brackish but the tide still effects water levels in the area.

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks Angry. I didn't know that river extended that far. I fished there as a child in the salmon river park and remember it being very shallow with lots of rocks.

I looked at a picture of the boat launch and it looks ideal. I'm obviously going to need to do some research as many rivers seems to flow into other larger parts of the river and are located in different towns. I thought Salmon river was strictly in the park and I never had luck there.

This is the Salmon river I remember.
http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2716&Q=325074

I'm guessing the best fishing is by the cove. When leaving the boat launch would the direction be downstream for that area?

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:34 pm

i have seen a launch in a campground that would be downstream for fishing, but every time i have been there we have had to make the transit across the cove. It does take a while, and be very careful during low tide. There are some nice catfish in there, a few stripers LMB, and some big trout. I have even herd of some pike comming out of there so its like a giant grab bag of fish, which makes it cool to me. There is another river right above middle town that comes in from the left, dont remember the name right now, i think its the manabasset or something like that i want to fish it but have yet to get the chance.

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:54 pm

That sounds like what I'm looking for. If I were to launch from this location:
http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2686&Q=384278

what direction would I head in to reach the mouth of the river or the "cove."

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:54 pm

that is where i always put in. The cove is directly to your right. there is a small inlet almost imediatley which is very shallow and is not the right location. keep going strait after the intital right turn off the ramp. Be carefull at the main entrace to the cove and give a lot of room to the main right turn into the cove, on low tide the rocks are only a few inches down and the water gets very turbid and you will not see them until its to late... great spot. go slow and be careful...

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:22 pm

angryjohn

There is another river right above middle town that comes in from the left, dont remember the name right now, i think its the manabasset or something like that i want to fish it but have yet to get the chance.

That would be the Mattabassett. I launch my yak just north of it out of Cromwell. Nice quiet section of the CT river which is protected by an island.

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Thanks again angry J. I've noted the path and to remind myself of the shallow right turn.

Once you have reached the cove area I would imagine it opens up to a very large body of water? Are there any landmarks... I just want to make sure I get to the proper location.

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Thanks again I'm all set. I see it on google earth. Pretty neat to see if you went in the opposite direction you would end up in Long Island sound.

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:09 pm

If you are in search of trout....screw the rivers if you have a little boat, that way you don't need to deal with the current...pick a lake or pond close by that they stock trout and go at it.

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:20 pm

Good point. I'll have to work both in. I must say, for all the pics of trout over 16 inches, they seem to come out of the rivers. I'd really like to get some big ones.

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:05 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links