H I'm new to Connecticut and am really into fishing but I don't know much about salt water fishing I live in Norwalk and plan on fishing on the docks at the maritime center. Any tips for me such as bait to use,lures,and weather I should use live bait or not

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:39 am

Depending on whats running and what your fishing for, you can use sandworms, clam strips, squid or shrimp for porgy/scup, summer- flounder/fluke and eel. Just about anything will eat these live baits.
For strippers you can use sandworms, eels, bunker/manhaden chunks or any large stick baits.
For blues/bluefish try bunker/manhaden. Be sure to use a wire leader and keep your hands away from the mouth. ( lots of sharp teeth)
You can also use a dimond jig. Watch for diving birds, and cast into that area.
For snapper/snapper blues (young bluefish about 6") you can cast any shiny lure using light tackle. Much better tasting then the big ones.
Weather doesn't matter a whole lot, although I prefer not to fish in the rain but I like to fish when it's overcast.
As far as live bait over artificial, always good to having both on hand.
And you can always check with Fishermans world Bait shop in Norwalk to see whats running and what to use.
Good luck.

Posted Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:49 am

Here's a link to some hot spots in CT.
www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/fishing_saltwater-fishing_ng_0705_02/
I've fished the Housatonic River in Stratford right next to the Washington bridge on Rt. 1. There is a shopping center there ( BJ's and petco. )
The state built a pier and it's accessible from the parking lot.
Also the Housatonic River in Derby. The stripers can run as far up as the dam. I used to fish right at the dam. Used to be an access through an old factory on Rt. 34 just on the outskirts of town. This was a cool spot because the striper would chase bait fish right up to the dam and then just pool there. We would use Menhaden ( Bunker ) chunks and live eels.

Not sure what part of CT your in, or if you have a boat.
lots of good spots along the CT. coast.
You can also check the CT. state fishing guide Where you buy your Licence.
Getting older now, Like fishing from a boat. The Black Hawk is my favorite. They make an extra effort to bring home fish.
Always catch when I fish with them.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, Eric

Posted Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links