I'm thinking about getting into kayak fishing this year and I was wondering since I have really no experience with it,what makes a more stable fishing platform,a sit on top ocean-style kayak or one that you sit inside,I'm trying to avoid frequent trips into the drink because I don't plan to wait until the water is seventy degrees before buying one.Any tips or advice would be very helpful.Thanks guys.

Posted Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:28 am

go get yourself this weeks issue of "the fisherman". They have a decent article on a few new kayaks made for fishing.

Posted Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks Elon,I'll check it out.I think I'm going to try kayaking this year since the boats out of the question for awhile atleast,until I can upgrade my vehicle that is.

Posted Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:55 am

Iheard ocean state job lot was getting 1500 canoes and kayaks april 3. From $200 to 1000. Old town i think with blemishes what ever that means.Might be worth checking out.Cant decide if i want on top or inside either.

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:54 pm

Just bought a 12' Malibu "Stealth" and it's beautiful!I was looking into the "blemish" yaks for sale on line and all it means is they got a couple of scratches on them or the color didn't come out how they wanted it too during the manufacturing process.Might be worth looking into but be sure to go over it very well before walking out the door.Hard to trust a place that carries so much merchandise made in China.Purchased mine from "Bassyaks" in Uncasville.Went really to see the Stealth up close,but after discussing with the owner what kind of a deal a guy in California would hook me up with for a fully rigged yak,Steve beat it.Haven't picked it up yet,still has to be rigged,a couple of items on order but so far doing business with Bassyaks has been a pleasure,nice people over there and really accomodating as far as rigging your "boat" exactly as you want it.As soon as I take delivery I will post some photos.

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:42 pm

Here it is! Laughing

Last edited by carp13 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:37 am

Nice looking yak. Welcome to the plastic Navy.

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:26 am

For anybody interested in getting into kayaks, North Cove Outfitters in Old Saybrook is having their show and sale this weekend, 5/1/2010 & 5/2/2010. Last time I was there they had some nice fishing rigs.

Posted Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:44 am

Nice yak!
We (and by that I mean "my wife" Twisted Evil ) bought our's (by that I mean "my wife's" Twisted Evil ) at North Cove Outfitters. I don't remember what we paid for it, but it works well for me. It's a ride on 10+ ft that fits in the back of my Hyundai with the hatch open. It's a Liquid Logic Manta Ray 10' which is now beeing sold by Native Watercraft as a 11' (10 ft, 10 in model) http://www.nativewatercraft.com/manta_11_angler.cfm Real stable. Believe it or not the first time I sat in the kayak it was in my 15 ft round above ground swimming pool. I had to try pretty hard to flip it. I just put in one 'Scotty' http://www.scotty.com/ flush mount rod holder, and plan on a couple more. Since I'm the ONLY one using it, NO I did not ask her (and by that I mean "my wife" Twisted Evil ) for permission. That's right, I'm the man in this house! But please don't tell her I did it 'cause she doesn't know yet!

Posted Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:44 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links