Howdy all,

About twenty years ago my grandfather passed away and I was given his favorite (and only I think) fly rod that has been hanging on a wall wherever I have lived. Recently I've had an urge to put the rod back to work and catch some trout in honor of my grandfather. I spent some time dry casting in the backyard the other day and feel pretty comfortable with going out on my own to fish with it, but I do have a couple questions for anyone willing to help.

There isn't much info on the rod itself, other than the brand name 'Cortland' and that they recommend No. 7 line. Does anyone have a recommendation on a decent line that won't break the bank?

I also know nothing of flies, and was wondering if there are any specific flies I should pick up, or if I should just grab an assorted package.

As for tying the fly on, will an improved clinch knot will work? It would seem that the line is rather thick to tie onto a small hook, so I assume there is a leader of sorts that should be used. Any suggestions as to the type of leader and length I should go with?

Finally, would Cabela's be the place to go for what I need, or are there other locations that would be able to help me out? I don't mind paying a couple extra bucks to support the small businesses.

Thanks,

Forrest

Posted Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:30 am

That thick line is the either the backing or maybe even the last foot of leader material. The leaders are several feet long and start thick but narrow down considerably. I snapped a few flies off the line just from casting before I got some technique.

It sounds like all you need is a leader and some flies and these aren't expensive. If the backing is 20+ years old you may want to replace that, that can get a little expensive I think. I was given a 8ft fiberglass rod a while ago and the 20 year old backing was a bit stiff and milldewy.

I picked up some assorted flies to start, never caught trout with them though. Some luck with bass & perch.

You can certainly find everything you need at the Fly Shop @ Cabela's. I set up a newer cheap flying outfit there a couple of years ago, but if you got a local business to support, more power to ya.

Posted Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:01 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too sure what to look for when looking for the leader, but it seems to me that I just have the backing on the reel, which is probably closer to 30 years old and indeed a bit stiff and mildewy.

I think I'll skip Cabela's for now and swing by CT Outfitters on the Silas Deane Highway in Wethersfield sometime today.

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:17 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links