I've had my eye on this spot for a while, but I thought it was difficult access, so I never payed much attention to it. I've casted from a couple spots....but you know how that goes. Took a spin around today in my truck, and on the NW side I found an Essex Land Trust sign "welcome aboard car top launch...please dont trash our pond." I happened to have my boat on top of my truck. It's a beautiful bass environment. Not fished hard, car top only, multi featured. I tried to figure out how to post a google earth image, but I cant get it to go. Starts out from the launch as a wide open 75 or so acre pond. This narrows at the SE end into a small channel with beautiful spots of downed trees from last year's storms.

The trees are new to the water...and easily visible, some like this, and some without bait stealing branches above the water. I donated some bait to the tree gods, which to be honest with you, makes me way more crazy than anything that happens in the ER. Almost all had action. Caught bass on senkos, lizards, and a small black buzz bait. I actually got bored catching multi 1 pounders and switched to a 1/2 oz double willow white spinner. Fish didnt seem to care. This one was about 1 3/4 and the best I did with the larger spinner.

The rest of the water becomes this very fishable riverish area that is deep in the middle, and not quite castable to both sides. It was blowing like snot, so I worked both sides as the wind took me, without much action in the middle portion of the area.. I knew I was missing a ton of good spots, but when your on the paddle...you have to weigh out wind -vs- do I want to circle back. I came up on this wicked looking spot around this corner and loaded up a frog and a carolina rigged lizard on my two rods.

That scrub coming out of the water was about 3 ft deep. If you can see the lower right of the picture, it's very light in color. I have never seen a field of beds like this one was. Empty......but amazing. Huge beds, literally hundereds of them. Picture doesnt do it justice. I know what I'm doing next spring.!!

It's getting a little dark, I'm on the outermost reach of the pond and I'm thinking there's so much left to fish. The latter part has a large island to paddle around. I had some hits on a hollow belly jerk shad, but couldnt close the deal in a nice opening of the water. I think the hook wasnt "loose" enough to set. The gulp shads are pretty stiff if you texas rig them. Every 100 yards is a corner, which I freakin love the mystery of. Huge white egrets in a tree inspecting my proficiency...like six of them. Picture failed. That pissed me off. Next cast was in the tree's with a bait I was quite fond of. Wind shifted...I'm packing it in. I toss out a swimming frog in one rocket launcher and a shad in the other...and paddle for my truck...which seems like a lifetime away at the moment. Heading down wind at a good clip my frog rod doubles over and I 'm pissed I snagged something......then it yanks, yanks ,yanks. Ease it out of the holder and set....FISH ON!!! Drag is zippin out. Not a 2 pounder. I keep a tote full of water to lay the bow down when I'm alone. I also use it as a live well if I need it. Its the white thing up front.

21" and feisty as can be. So full of piss that when trying to weigh it, my scale ended up in the pond. The manner that this happened looked much like a keystone cops movie....so I'll respectfully decline to describe it.

I loaded my boat, and the fish in the tote...jetted off to the ER I work at and asked if the baby scale was clear. Ran inside with a fish in a bag...one minute turn around/ with picture....and got it back to it's home unscathed. I had to know the weight. 4.7lbs Yeah buddy!!! This spot isnt even close to fished!!

I called in before arrival....incoming with approx 8 year old bass, oxygen saturation monitored on pond water, no respiratory distress, alert and oriented to surroundings, in need of weight...photo and quick turn around.

WHAT....you dont have an ER to call when you throw your scale in the water?

Posted Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:28 pm

wow what a great day. Dont know that i would ever get tired catching pounders but good for you. Adventure is the name of the game.

Posted Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:45 am

Let me re-phrase that John. After about 14 nice little bass-which I was having a ball catching....I was looking to change gears with different bait, to coax in some bigger fish. For as many times I have had luke warm days fishing, this was a welcome outstanding day!!

Posted Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:37 am

No razz intended but i did pick that up on the re-read. Glad you had a great time. All i seem to be getting is the smaller ones except a few pounders here and there. If it isn't a good time i would wonder what were doing. I get just as much out of exploring a new place, and its nice when the fish work with me.

Posted Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Hey rxpxtx,I found a map of the place you fished. How much parking is available there at the launch? Thinking this might be a good place for the "yak-together". Looks like a nice place you found there.

Posted Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:20 pm

carp13

Hey rxpxtx,I found a map of the place you fished. How much parking is available there at the launch? Thinking this might be a good place for the "yak-together". Looks like a nice place you found there.

Gonna share the map, Carp?
It's time to get this going. I think you might be right. this could be the spot. Looks interesting.

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:00 pm

I'm Dave guys. I'm so impressed with this spot for many reasons. I dont have depths for the larger portion which is Mill Pond, cause I went straight to the attached river/island area (Fall River) because it was blowing in a filthy way and I needed some cover. I intend to really get to know the fish here this summer. I wish I knew how to post the sat map. As much as I lament the idea of you bastards invading for a get together, I think it would be a spot on place for an outing, and would love to join in and help out in any way. It's not huge by any means, but the river area could easily accommodate a dozen car top boats out hitting the spots. Add the pond and there's an extra 75 or so acres to play in. The land trust "launch" on Fall River Rd has a small parking area that with proper management of parking would hold 8-10 vehicles. There's a school about a half mile away on RT 154. This is across the street from where the river starts at the SE portion of the pond. The land there is also public on the waterfront...and has on street parking right on the river. This is where I have casted from. Before I found the land trust lot, I was just going to slide the canoe down the bank here. Little steep, but not out of the question. At the land trust is a nice grass area that would be perfect for a cookout or whatever you had in mind. Ditto for the place on 154 (by the church and elementary school on the sat map.) Any idea of prospective dates? I'll help out on this end with anything needed. Lets do this. I wont guarantee the fish...but I stand by the location as being very friendly for this type affair. All I ask is for 100% clean up and respect for the land and water, and the private land that is mixed in. I dont mean anything by this...I know from reading all your posts what kind of folks you are...I'm just mentioning it. There are houses on both sides of the land trust lot, and along the river in spots. It's a really small town and I'm tight with the resident trooper and the selectman. Easy access from RT 9 exit 3, and I-95 at exit 65. Essex is not a central location for everybody, but I dont think anyone would be complaining about the waters at this spot. Whats the guestamite of the number of people that may attend such a function? I cant find the "yak-together" page.

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Yeah,I didn't want to put any details out there so as not to blow up Dave's spot before he confirmed/agreed with the idea. I haven't looked at it on a satellite map yet,just Googled Essex Land Trust and figured it out by process of elimination. There is a trail system on the island too. Maybe there is a clearing there where we can BBQ? If so maybe that would draw less attention when the "invaders/bastards" show up in Essex? Wink I don't anticipate more than 10 people showing up so it shouldn't be a problem I don't think. Plenty of people always express interest but prior commitments and people talking out of their a** always brings the numbers down. I'm on my way out the door (going fishing) so Mac if you wanna resurrect the "yak-together" thread and get this thing going that would be cool or I'll get to it after I get home. Nice find Dave and once we set a date I think we'll let you coordinate the meet up/parking area since you're the only one with local knowledge. Let's do it!

Posted Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:29 am

I'll take a few pictures of the public spots this weekend and put them up so people have an idea what its like. The only logistical issue I see is that the spot to slide your boat in is just s sliver between two trees, so there's no real place to stage them once launched. May just have to launch and go fish.

Posted Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:49 am

carp13

. . . I'm on my way out the door (going fishing) so Mac if you wanna resurrect the "yak-together" thread and get this thing going . . .

Count me in and good luck carp.

Here's the most recent one:
http://www.ctfishfinder.com/phpBB2/is-there-anyone-intrested-in-a-yak-fishing-tournament-t5658-15.html

And last years for an idea of how it went:
http://www.ctfishfinder.com/phpBB2/ctff-yak-together-t4531.html

Is this the area you're talking about for a "put in spot"
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qwrhgp8yxmxx&lvl=18.74&dir=354.29&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

Posted Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:02 pm

8th is good for me...I'm in. I'll recon the area again this wknd with launching, parking and cook out in mind, and post some pictures of the land trust spot on Falls River Dr.

Posted Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:35 am

Hey guys. Let's keep the planning of the this party on one thread so everyone is on the same page. Here's the link to the original thread in case anyone is not seeing it. http://www.ctfishfinder.com/phpBB2/post30727.html#30727

Posted Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:54 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links