stuck on which reel i need/want. After reading about the two there are some sticking points on which one is right for me. The 253l has the external cast control, while the 300 requires that the cover be removed to make the adjustment, the second issue is drag. one is rated at 11 the other at 15. When pairing up with the 7' st croix musky will i be sorry i got the 253 because the stripers are running away, and i need more drag? At first i was set on the 300 and now i am not sure. This will be my first bait cast setup, and i hate to be in 300 bucks in a reel that is not the one i want or need. How often is cast control an issue?

Last edited by angryjohn on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:20 pm

If I'm using a casting reel to cast a lot (such as pitching live baits)as opposed to just trolling or jigging, adjusting the cast controll is something I do pretty often. You can cast without the easy access to the adjustment system. Hell, my grandfather could outcast me by a mile with any old Penn. However, ease of adjustment is nice. I've used the Luna, but only droping butterfly jigs on a Daiwa demo trip. Avet also makes nice casting reels and the SX5.3MC-G is on sale at Cabelas for 239.00. For a small reel it packs a wallop.
320/15
5.3:1
14 oz
14 max drag

I've got a Daiwa Saltist that I like, though it's the bigger STTLD35H which I use out in the Race and bluewater, but the STTLD20H
at 13 oz. packs a lot of line and a big drag.
Max Drag: 22 Lbs.
Reel Weight (oz.): 13.4
Line Cap.: 14/350
Braid Capacity: 40/260
On a kayak you could just lock that thing down and let a big fish tire itself out.

I know I've probably muddied the water, but if you weren't set on your reel, you could look at and compare these as well. Hopefully we can get out in the spring.

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:01 am

that avet looks like a very good reel. They have right and left hand and that is great considering i am looking for a lefty, spend all my time on spinning setups so far. From what i have read there is a split on level winds. I was going for one, to make the learning process easier, but should i go with one without? Night casting may be in order if that is the best time for striper. My ears are wide open.

Just to throw another reel in the mix i also was looking at the abu ambassadeur record RCN61HC. Price is not the major factor, but it looks like a good piece and the reviews are great. This is there top of the line.

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:27 pm

All good reels. Level wind vs not is kind of a preference. I've got and use both. I know the 2 I mentioned are also lever drags, which I think are better for live lining, etc. All are capable of handling the biggest stripers and a lot of offshore species. Any one you select will be a quality reel. Since it is impossible to find the perfect reel, we have an excuse to buy more! Very Happy

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:17 pm

made the deal on the luna 300l found it on fleabay for 237 shipped to the house. Was compairing the luna and 400 te shimano, and the abu, and for the deal i found i think it was the best. Tackletour rated the luna the best over the sham's unless its the dc version which is not made in a 400. I also checked out the abu revo toro, which has great specs, but many people were slaming it on stripers.com. I guess its not great in salt, and i wanted that ability. I also considered the st croix reel which is the same as the luna but its only right handed. I also liked the saltist, level wind but those are right handed only. I checked out the ryoga, which is much more expensive, but the largest is only a 200 series. Well glad this is behind me so now i can try to figure out what kind of line to learn with. I was opting for regular burkley big game in 20lb, any sugestion...

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:59 pm

I have been doing some web searching to figure out what i can do do trick out my new luna. There seems to be a lot of stuff that is possible but i am lacking in some major information. One thing i am trying to figure out is if the millionaire cv-x japanese version is the same or how close it is. They claim that there are 11 bearings in that modle. There is also an aluminum casting paddle that i am very intrested in. I also would like to find the size of the drive bushing so i can change it out for a bearing. i found this intresting laundry list of upgrades which i will try and figure out what which ones are worth doing.

1- CERAMIC SPOOL BEARINGS
2- CARBONTEX DRAG WASHERS & SS METAL WASHERS
3- POLISH SPOOL SHAFT WHERE IT MAKES CONTACT WITH PINION GEAR, ALSO POLISH INSIDE OF PINION GEAR.
4- REPLACE BUSHING UNDER HANDLE SHAFT WITH B/BEARING
5- REOIL WITH HOT SAUCE OIL AND GREASE
6- REPLACE HANDLE PADDLE BUSHINGS WITH B/BEARINGS, 1 PER PADDLE OR RELACE HANDLE WITH SHIMANO TRINIDAD 12 POWER HANDLE, MAKE SURE U GET THE WASHER SCREW AND NUT FOR P/H FROM SHIMANO, I USE THAT PH.

Most of the changes will be small as i learn the reel, and i will upgrade as things start to wear or i have extra cash to flush.

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:11 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links