With the temps a bit to warm to make ice, but to cold to get out in the yak, I have not fished since October!!! I'm really looking forward to the upcoming season. I have a sort of bucket list of places I would like to fish this year. One at the top is to fish the Rhody worm hatch ponds. Anyone ever try this?? Supposed to be a blast with a fly rod! I'm doing some research on where and when the best action is, and were I can launch my yak. Would love to have a partner or two join me in the fun. Unfortunately, there is a relatively small window when the worms hatch, and the stripers are active. Planning may be a challenge, thus why I bring it up now.

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:52 pm

dont know anything about it being to cold. I have had out my newcanoe every month of this winter, and we have my fishing partner's cannoe ever week several times a week. The bite is very slow, and you have to dress warm but its doable. Dont roll over or you will suffer. We even had fun breaking threw the ice to get out on a pond the other day, you would think that would be a sign but obviously it did not slow us down. Intrested in the fishing event, post more info when you have it, and propose some rules...

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:36 pm

event?? rules?? think you mis-read. Not trying to plan an event, just looking to see if anyone would like to join me.

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:45 pm

From what I understand of fishing those worm hatches it is mostly school sized bass keying in on the worms. And it can be tricky if they won't hit anything else thus "match the hatch" is important. But if you hit it right it can be fast and furious. If I happen to be off when you're going I might go although it's not really my cup of tea. If not I do have a buddy that I fish with regularly that is a fly-rod guy. He's pretty knowledgeable about saltwater fly-fishing and has more than once tried to get me to try those ponds with him. I could put you in touch with him when the time comes if you'd like.

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:18 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links