My kids are grown. However I have a sugestion that worked for me when they were younger. West Hill Pond in New Hartford. Its a great place to introduce the kids to the rewards of fishing. I like the pond for its prestine water conditions, limit on power boat HP to 5 during the summer months, its limited congestion & solitude (you can here people talking on the other side of the lake, despite its size). Little has changed over the past 30 years since I've been going there. Despite the fact it is well known for its trout and land locked salmon, I have never caught one (ever in 30 years). I think you need to troll for them deep with 10 lbs of Davis Spinners - not my style.

What I like about this lake is the ability to rent a rowboat, let the kids practice rowing for a while while you keep just going around in circles than taking control of the oars and heading toward the Island. The Island is posted but you can anchor nearby. The water between the Island and the shore is shallow and a great place to let the kids snorkle and investigate the shoreline looking for crawfish! Good fun that keeps their intrest for hours.

Next, get the kids back in the boat and row out toward the center of the lake for about a hundred yards. Their is a reef here popular to scuba divers. The water is about 30 feet deep. Drop the anchor and fish for a variety of kids fish (smallmouth bass, perch and panfish). Lots of bites and action to keep them interested. You will spend most of your time baiting hooks and releasing the catch. Good fun and a great day with the kids on a great prestine lake in Connecticut!

I always rent a boat on the South end of the lake, since it's a shorter row to the Island. They also sell bait, rent canoes & motors (if you don't like to row).

Posted Sun May 20, 2007 12:44 pm

Thanks for putting me onto this location. My children range from 17 to 3 and this looks like a great spot for the whole family!

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:39 pm

Great post. Get the kids involved w/ fishing. Here's a picture of my daughter's 1st trout- caught in December 2006. Very Happy

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:35 pm

Notice the strangle hold. Shocked She's gotten better at holding them, since then. Very Happy

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:30 pm

I still hold my fish like that! Razz

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:06 pm

steamstomper

I still hold my fish like that! Razz

I'd say I do too, but I haven't caught a trout since that day back in December. Been too busy bass fishing. Very Happy

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:20 pm

KPMoose says: I'd say I do too, but I haven't caught a trout since that day back in December. Been too busy bass fishing.

CATCHING! I knew I was missing out on one aspect of this trout fishing activity!

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:49 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links