ICE FISHING REPORT NUMBER 3 1/19/2011

SAFETY REMINDER: DEP reminds winter anglers that SAFETY COMES FIRST! Be aware that ice thickness varies on all water bodies due to a number of environmental factors including in-lake water circulatory patterns, snow cover and the type and amounts of recent precipitation. Please check the ice carefully before venturing out and check repeatedly to make sure that ice thickness is sufficient. Local bait and tackle shops are often excellent resources for the most current information on ice conditions. Always let someone know where you are going and when you’ll return.

ICE FISHING REPORT
Anglers are enjoying a great start to the ice fishing season. Fishing, cooking and socializing are all traditionally associated with this winter sport. It’s a great time to introduce children to fishing and the outdoors. Check out the new feature on the last page - “TUCKER® GOES FISHING”

SHARE THE EXPERIENCE

TROUT – Several nice trout were caught this last week including a 15” rainbow. For trout fishing try the following locations: East Twin Lake (8 fish), Crystal Lake, Mashapaug Lake, Highland Lake, Bigelow Pond, Black Pond (Meriden), Cedar Lake, Mt. Tom Pond and Salmon River.

ATLANTIC SALMON – Some fish have been caught at Crystal Lake (Ellington) this past week.

NORTHERN PIKE – Catch and release action continues with an 11 pounder being iced. Fishing for these monsters continues with the successful angler using large bait fish in shallow water. Best reports are coming from Mansfield Hollow Reservoir, Bantam Lake, Pachaug Pond, Beseck Lake, Quaddick Reservoir and Connecticut River coves.

WALLEYE – This past week saw a 5 pound 24.5” come through the ice. Areas to try include: Mashapaug Lake and Coventry Lake.

YELLOW PERCH –This tasty fish is being caught at Coventry Lake, Candlewood Lake, East Twin Lake, West Twin Lake, Mansfield Hollow Reservoir, Gardner Lake, West Thompson Reservoir, Park Pond, Mudge Pond, Dog Pond, Hayward Lake and West Side Pond.

PANFISH - Panfish are being caught in good numbers between the hours of 6:00-9:00 am for the early riser. Jigging with grubs on your favorite lure and moving from place to place is the way to go for these delicious fish. Locations to try include: Beseck Lake, Kenosia Lake, Black Pond (Woodstock), Quaddick Reservoir, Crystal Lake, Highland Lake, Winchester Lake, Red Cedar Lake, Amos Lake, Hayward Lake, Gardner Lake, Coventry Lake, Silver Lake (Kensington), Horse Pond, Dog Pond and Stillwater Pond.

CHAIN PICKEREL – A 20” pickerel was reported this past week. Pickerel are a traditional favorite of ice fishermen. Excellent pickerel fishing is reported at Long Pond, Beseck Lake, Halls Pond, Black Pond (Meriden), Silver Lake, Mudge Pond and Quaddick Reservoir.

LARGEMOUTH/SMALLMOUTH BASS – Some of the larger bass reported last week were over 3.5 pounds. Bass are being found at Coventry Lake, Candlewood Lake, Highland Lake, Colebrook Reservoir, Mashapaug Lake, Bashan Lake, Wyassup Lake and Lake Lillinonah.

TIPS & TRICKS – YELLOW PERCH
��
Fish just off the bottom of the lake. Yellow perch are known to eat the worms and grubs that live on the bottom of lakes and ponds. They won’t stray too far from the bottom in most cases, since that is also where the warmest water is in the winter months. Set your tip-ups to be 1 foot to 6 inches off the bottom, and if you are jigging for perch with an ice rod keep the bait just off the bottom of the body of water you are fishing.
��
Find the middle of the lake and fish for perch there. The midsections (basin area) of most lakes and ponds generally have very little vegetation. The muddy bottom is home to many of the creatures that perch like to eat and they will be cruising these areas in search of food. ‘Blood worms’ or mayfly nymphs are found in large numbers here. Yellow perch can be found in shallower water as well, but those tend to be smaller than the ones taken from the middle of lakes.
��
Be ready to be taken to school. Once you catch one yellow perch, chances are excellent that it is just the beginning of the action. Perch travel in schools, meaning that you will more than likely have lots of willing takers once you hook into one. Yellow perch will take shiners and really go for small jigs, tiny lures designed for panfish. Put a piece of a dead shiner on one and see how the perch respond.
��
Move around on the lake. If you are not catching fish in one spot drill new holes and move your tackle. Do not stay in an unproductive fishing spot for more than 15 minutes. Watch the action around you. If ice fishermen in another spot are catching perch, consider moving your operation in their direction without crowding them. Keep drilling holes every 10 or 15 yards until you find the perch.
��
Bounce it off the bottom. Perch will take jigging lures presented in this way as they are accustomed to feeding right off of the bottom. Let your jig lie on the bottom for as long as half a minute and then start to bounce it up and down. Keep your jig moving for a while and then let it go back down to rest on the bottom for a few more seconds before repeating the jigging action. (visit in-fisherman.com for additional tips)

COOKING WHITE FISH FILLETS
BY GRANDMA ‘G’
3 Tablespoons of low salt soy sauce
2 Teaspoons of fresh ground ginger
3 limes fresh squeezed
Combine the above and let it rest in the refrigerator for ½ hour
This will cook 1-2 pounds of filleted fish
Lightly oil a 9”x9” glass baking dish with olive oil and put filleted fish skin side down. Pour sauce over the fish. Add water to the sauce (not over the fish) if you need to until the fluid is at least ¼” deep. Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes.

TUCKER® GOES FISHING
Today it finally happened. My human took me fishing and boy was it fun! How can you not like this? We caught so many fish they were in a pile next to the hole on the ‘hard water’. I picked one up and you should have heard the noise. The fishing party was laughing so hard they couldn’t talk. That’s a first. I was so proud of myself I think I hurt my tail wagging it. You know what I mean. It was just wiggling so hard I thought it was going to fall off. Then they tried to get the fish back. I don’t think so. I was darting this way and that so they couldn’t get it. Boy is this fun, especially when ‘you know who’ slipped and fell on the ice. You should have had your ice creepers on bud. Safety comes first like you’re always saying. Now everyone is laughing at ‘you know who’. He’s laying on the ice with me standing over him giving me a nice pat. “You are such a knucklehead Tucker”, he said. Recognition! Oh, boy. Let’s do this again next week O.K.? Go fishing so you can have fun too!
Put something on the ice and cook it with Grandma ‘G’s’ instructions. ‘T’

DEP ICE FISHING REPORT
CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT 06106
www.ct.gov/dep

Posted Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:39 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links