I have a 4' 6" ultralight, and a 6' 6" medium. What else should I have. Today I only took the medium with me and wished I had taken the ultralight, but I think there may be more options.

Posted Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:51 pm

Depends on what you are going for. I only take an ultralight when going for trout. Sometimes bring an old 7.5' fly rod for trout on occasion as well (just for fun because I suck at fly fishing).
7' med/heavy baitcaster with braid when hitting middle of heavy weeds for bass or pike. Also keep 7' medium baitcast with 12lb flouro for edge of weeds or around cover and a 7' spinning with 8lb flouro for going to deeper water with soft plastics. Longer one piece rods seem to have a better feel. I'd probably get an even longer rod if it would fit in my car, but it is tough enough to fit a 10.5' kayak and one piece rods into the trunk of a 2 door coupe with the back seats folded down.
I never really look for panfish, so most gear is a little beefier.

Posted Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:05 pm

I always have a cooler full of cold beer onboard, Mac can confirm that! Very Happy

Posted Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:29 pm

mac636

. . .but it is tough enough to fit a 10.5' kayak and one piece rods into the trunk of a 2 door coupe with the back seats folded down . . .

Funny, I do the same thing, 2001 Hyundai Accent, back seat down, front passenger seat back, hatch open with a tie down.

Picked up a Shakespeare 7' Med Excursion 2 pc, and 5.2/1 Excursion spinning reel. Surprise was the reel came with two spools! Neat! Beer might not be a bad idea though. At least there's one way to ensure a pleasurable kayak trip!

Last edited by pramsey on Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:04 pm

Carp has a nice setup. He can carry more beer than my rig.

Posted Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:09 pm

pramsey

I have a 4' 6" ultralight, and a 6' 6" medium. What else should I have. Today I only took the medium with me and wished I had taken the ultralight, but I think there may be more options.

I HAD a 4' 6" ultralight! Stopped at Yantic River (Fireman's Field) on Saturday, Yantic River Park and Fitchville Pond Sunday to try to wean myself from fishing and post pone the depression, no catches, but broke my small ultralight (yeah, that helped!!) Recomendations for a new one? I was thinking about a cheap combo like another shakespeare microspin, but someone else recommended a Fenwick ($80 - $90). Any advice? Needs to be short or two or more pieces to fit.

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Does anyone have experience with both a ultra-light or light multi-piece (3pc or more as opposed to a 2pc) rod and an ultra-light or light "telescoping rod"? I am thinking about getting one to keep in the car, in addition to short single piece or a 6 ft + two piece.

Posted Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:49 pm

i just sold my ugly stick lite, ultra light, and it was a decent pole. I had the tiptop loose its insert and they shipped me out a new one imediatly. The uglysticks have a slow action, but for panfish, and trout that is not a big issue. They do well getting beat up in the canoe or yak to. JMO

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:48 pm

best ultra ligth is a shimano convergence

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:02 pm

What do I carry in m yak??? well according to Carp, everything including the kitchen sink! My new yak I tried very hard to keep it relatively simple. I will have two fly rod and one spinning rod, or two spinning rods and one fly rod. kinda depends on the wind and what the target species is. However I'm planning on using my fly setups exclusively this year.

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:15 pm

I just bought an ugly stik light for light crankbaits and other1/8 ounce size lures. I put a shimano Sonora 1000 on it and it casts all the tiny lures that my medium rod would never get out there without tangling the line.

I'm new to fishing and its hard to believe alot of people use light rods for bass and trout without breaking them but I'll give it a shot.

I love my light set up though. I had it for an hour and caught two panfish at union pond with a fake worm on a hook.

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:48 am

It has been my experience that the bigger trout are meat eaters and will not be taken on the same type of lures as there smaller brethren. Both of my larger trout 3+ and 4lb 12oz both came on crainkbaits. Now i am not saying you cannot catch them another way, but that is my experience. Both of the large trout were browns, which are fish eaters when larger. The rated power of the rod from manufacturer to the next can be huge. My st croix medium has way more power than my fenwick and an ugly stick. If your into spinning i would say have a medium light moderate fast and a medium heavy or heavy fast both in 6'6" or 7'. This would give you a lot of versatility.

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links